Man not supposed to live forever.

by searcher 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• searcher
    searcher

Gen 3:22 And Jehovah God went on to say: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—” NWT

• Gill
    Gill

Good point! But also, not only was this fruit not for eternal life, but it was 'to time indefinite.' Not everlasting life but an indefinite life.

Someone has been spreading lies about people being able to live forever!!!! I wonder who?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Couldn't agree more. No living animal lives forever, no matter how well constructed.

• RAF
    RAF

Gill : Someone has been spreading lies about people being able to live forever!!!! I wonder who?

... ...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is only one way for man to live forever, and the Watchtower Society is NOT that way. In order for man to live forever, science is going to have to find out what makes cells age. Then they are going to have to develop a way to halt that process, while repairing tissues that have already been damaged by age or the environment. Once they are able to do that, there is no reason why man should not be able to achieve everlasting life without God to meddle.

And in doing this, man will not have to abide by ever-changing rules. We will not have to turn in a minimum of "x" hours a month of service, or justify that you have done all you possibly could to promote a religion. Such "sins" as fornication, smoking, or drunkenness will not be problems (though I could not see why anyone would want to start smoking or get drunk if the environment is stimulating enough). Any problem would be curable. So what if you get AIDS? There would be a way to cure it instantly, and cure the problems it caused. Cancer? A great way to rebuild tissue mass, and then it gets reprogrammed to function as the missing tissue should (like growing a new organ or limb). And other diseases would either be eliminated or harnessed to repair other problems. Perfect science means perfect medicine, which means perfect health and everlasting life.

But this is not going to happen as long as life is stagnant. We go to rut jobs (and it's much worse for those in the Watchtower religion). We have stagnant ways to make a living, and hence need to mask this burden of stagnation. And the way people do that is smoking weed, getting drunk, and driving recklessly. Of course, no one is going to want to live forever like that. And, for those who have even worse stagnation jobs with only a stagnant ministry to look forward to after, living forever is even worse of an appeal. Once man gets rid of those who keep life stagnant (and it's a surprisingly small number) by putting them out of power, others will be able to promote the fulfilling jobs that actually create value without impediment. And, the first to go are the leaders of the Watchtower Society.

• eclipse
    eclipse

If god wanted to, he could of designed humans to live forever.

According to Genesis, god did not design humans that way. Instead he created a tree to keep them alive.

Sort of like a back-up plan.

''If they mess up, well at least we know they won't last long! That way I don't have to kill them, they will just die on their own.''.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I always had a problem with this belief and it was the first thing to go when I went through my stages of doubt until the whole damn charade was exposed to me from A to Z.

There are too many 'holes' in this belief as far as I am concerned. Unless, of course, the intention is to populate other planets with the human race.

LHG

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Hmmm... I don't agree. The text quoted from Genesis doesn't say anything about man not being created to die or not to live forever. If you read carefully, they were going to die because they HAD JUST sinned against God. So their death sentence was inevitable. They were to die because they no longer were sinless. Notice that it says "Now man has become like one of us . . ."

Justahuman - but super nonetheless

• M.J.
    M.J.

"they were going to die because they HAD JUST sinned against God. So their death sentence was inevitable."

Not so fast--The threat wasn't that they would become mortal. It was that they would die the very same day they disobeyed.

• searcher
    searcher
    Notice that it says "Now man has become like one of us . . ."

Certainly it does..............in now having the knowledge of good and evil.

But man was forbidden to take[fruit] from the tree of life before being ejected.

If man had been intended to live forever, he would not have been forbidden the fruit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit