Lighting up a new LED...

by Jim_TX 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"wow, that's alot of power. when i went to electronics school. i was taught that all p-n junctions aka diodes, or leds if they emit light only use 500 mv. you must be using a much higher power diode than we used."

Well... it's been a while since I was in a classroom... I always thought that silicon diodes had a voltage drop of .6 volts, and germanium had somewhere around .3 volts.

LEDs though... have always been over 1 volt. Most of the small T-1 or T-1-3/4 LEDs are around 2.1 to 2.5 volts - depending on color.

The high power LEDs that I am using are around 3.5 volts plus or minus.

Regards,

Jim TX

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i just dug out my old textbook, and you are soooooooooooo...........................right.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "I can't wait for them to come up with LED light bulbs that screw into standard sockets like they did with compact fluorescents. ... The problems are a harsh white light, that the light is focused in a beam instead of all around the bulb, and they need special fixtures to operate."

Well, they're getting real close to achieving this. I bought two LEDs that are meant to run off of 120VAC directly. All you need to do is wire them up, and go. I scavenged an old fluorescent light socket, and an old computer chip heatsink. I am currently using this LED light in the mornings - it is in my bathroom, and consumes about 3 watts of power. The light puts out about 100+ lux (at 1 meter) as measured on a lightmeter. It is white - I mean whie - but there are also 'soft white' LEDs - that are more 'yellow' or 'orange' tinted. (I prefer the 'white' color though).

As for 'focused' light from the LEDs - with no optics, they have anywhere from about a 110 to 160-degree beam. Optics help to narrow it down a bit and focus the light. I believe that using LEDs may require us to re-think our lighting schemes - placing them along the walls or ceilings - and directing the light outward (or downward - if placed on the ceiling).

After all... if you look at current fixtures, much of the light is wasted - shooting off in directions that we do not need it in.

"That would solve the mercury problem with the fluorescents, and slash energy usage by a third of what the fluorescents currently use."

I think that the dangers of the mercury are a bit overblown. If the fluorescent is used up - I've read that the mercury is non-existent.

Just my .02 worth. Of course... I'm a tad prejudiced - since I'm playing with LEDs, and using them to light parts of my home.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit