JWs reasons for the UN fiasco

by AMarie 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AMarie
    AMarie

Before I get started, please let me emphasize that I am not a Witness nor ever will be again. Many of their policies are crooked and underhanded. However, I did some more research on the UN thing and found out valid reasons why the WTBTS joined. If any of you have further information that disputes what I am posting, please let me know, as I am searching for the truth on this matter.

I called Paul Hoeffel, Chief of the NGO at the UN regarding the Witnesses involvement. Being an NGO with the DPI doesn't necessarily mean that you are pro-UN. It just means that you can educate the people regarding the UN, which is JWs do, just not in the positive light that is automatically assumed. Also, being registered with the DPI of the UN means you have access to their resource which Witnesses need in order to quote certain UN officials in their Awakes/Watchtowers. Possibly, when xjws found out about it, they removed their names from the list so they wouldn't give people the wrong idea.
    It is also fact that many other religions figures (priest, pastors, etc....)subscribe the Watchtowers and Awakes, not because they support Witnesses, but because they want their information for the purpose of disputing their doctrines. It sounds to me like the JWs are doing the same thing.

As I said above, if anybody has further information that I am missing, please feel free to contact me. Of coarse you can post, or you can e-mail me directly at [email protected]

Whatever help you can give me is much appreciated.

Amanda

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Here we go again. <gets out popcorn>

Do we have to do this again. What can I say besides "agrees to support the charter of the UN"

None of us are saying that the WTBTS being a DPI associated NGO is a bad thing. It's just hypocritical. They would DF or DA a JW for even working for such an org (see no mowing church yards, no YMCA, etc) yet they can 'support the UN charter'?

If it's so OK, why did they hurry up and jump out? If they can defend their poistion?

My other thoughts on that were that the UN might have been considering kicking them out anyway in light of the WTBTS writings about the UN, which they were obviously not aware of.

It's not like another religion subscribing to the Watchtower/Awake. By subscribing to the WT/Awake you are not 'agreeing to support the charter of the JW'. VERY different.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

"Do not touch the unclean thing". No matter how much the WTBTS wanted to utilize "resources" of the UN, they have NO excuse for joining what THEY consider to be one of the most disgusting and blasphemous organizations on Earth.

Rationalize all you want, but it comes down to the fact that the WT is either part of the UN, or they are not.

Are individual Witnesses allowed to subscribe to religious magazines other than the WT or AWAKE! for "purposes of research"? I think not. Any Witness caught "researching" will at the very least be labelled "bad association" or "spiritually weak", and they might face reproof or disfellowshipping.

Sorry.....they can't have it both ways.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

No one disputes that there are valid reasons for signing on with the UN. Thousands of NGOs have done just that.

However, the WTS has condemned other religious organizations for just such an association as this. Since they themselves signed up, this makes them hypocrites.

Also, I dispute this statement of yours: "Being an NGO with the DPI doesn't necessarily mean that you are pro-UN"

It has been clearly shown that associative status with the UN-DPI as an NGO requires that you support the work and the charter of the United Nations (aka, scarlet colored wild beast).

You say many priests and pastors subscribe to Watchtower and Awake. When they do this, do they sign an agreement to "support the work of the WTS", to "mobilize public opinion in support of the WTS", to "support the charter of the WTS", to "disseminate information about the WTS", to "devote a portion of their information programmes to the WTS' agenda"? Apples and oranges.

TS,

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Also, they blast other religions for 'supporting' the UN. Then they do the same thing. Yes, their names are on the list alongside just about every other major religion.

This is what happens when the WTBTS trys to play the 'oh we're so normal' game to the gov'ts of the world (in the pursuit of legal tax freedoms - they worry more about tax laws then improving the plight of JWs in impovershed(sp?) areas). Out of one side of their mouths they are saying 'we are no part of the world' yet their legal beagles are into every governmental pie they can stick themselves into.

If this is 'Jah's org' why does he need the UN's help?

• Seeker
    Seeker

Let me try to explain why things are a bit more serious than they appear:

Being an NGO with the DPI doesn't necessarily mean that you are pro-UN. It just means that you can educate the people regarding the UN, which is JWs do, just not in the positive light that is automatically assumed.

First of all, they became an "associate" of the UN, something that is political in nature, which is hypocritical for them to do. They pledged to support the ideals of the UN, while actually condemning the UN to their followers.

Secondly, as you point out, they are also hypocritical for pretending to the UN to be educating in a way the UN would approve, while actually badmouthing them.

Also, being registered with the DPI of the UN means you have access to their resource which Witnesses need in order to quote certain UN officials in their Awakes/Watchtowers.

They don't "need" this, any more than they need to quote these officials. They desired it, they found it expedient, but they didn't need to do this.

Possibly, when xjws found out about it, they removed their names from the list so they wouldn't give people the wrong idea.

That is what happened, but think about it: was it wrong to be associated with the UN? If so, why did they do it? If not, why did they suddenly quit? What "wrong idea" might be given? Why didn't they ever tell JWs they were associating with the UN? If there was nothing wrong, why the secrecy? And if there was nothing wrong, why resign the moment this association came to light?

It is also fact that many other religions figures (priest, pastors, etc....)subscribe the Watchtowers and Awakes, not because they support Witnesses, but because they want their information for the purpose of disputing their doctrines. It sounds to me like the JWs are doing the same thing.

And this is a process that the WTS condemns other religions for doing. Now they are being condemned by their own words.

Does this make more sense now as to why it is so serious? They said one thing, but did another, got caught, and beat a hasty retreat. All while saying absolutely nothing to JWs, not even when they called headquarters to ask about it.

• AMarie
    AMarie

Thanks for your response, guys. Of coarse I got some of my information from my JW mother who is going to put a positive spin on the WBTS's actions. I'm trying very hard to keep an open mind and see things from both points of view before I condemn anybody.

However, you made some very good points about the society being hypocritical (not allowing us to work for UN, join YMCA etcetera). I don't know why I didn't think of that when talking to my mother. Could've been because she hung up on me for reading "apostate" material. Geeeezz...[8>]

I'm also very sorry about bringing up a subject that has been talked into the ground....I just needed to know.

Thanks for your help

Amanda

• AMarie
    AMarie

By the way, I'm printing out all of your responses so that the next time I talk to my mother or any other JW, I will have the information I need. If this is OK with you.

Thank you guys so much.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

No problem - good luck.

One of the hardest things about this particular issue is that there has been SO MUCH discussion about it from both sides, and it's easy to get confused.

Just keep the above simple thoughts in mind when speaking with her. Obviously as plain as it is, many JWs will gloss over it just like they do eveything else that is JW-negative.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi AMarie!

Congratulations! You win this weeks prize!!!!

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit