King-go-melodies

by Serg 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Serg
    Serg

I don't know about you but I don't think I'll ever be able to forget all those melodies that have been repeated over and over for 30yrs. And they're so catchy, sort of like Christmas songs, I find myself humming them when I least expect it, or there's always a sound or song I hear that sparks a melody in my head. I guess thats another form of crazy programming almost impossible to delete. Like after the meetings I would usually catch myself humming the closing song.

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

As SirNose82 pointed out out on another thread, the kingdom songs are 'doctrine that rhymes'... It's part of the programming.

I can relate to what you say.. I even have a collection of them on my hard disk lol

- Deus Mauzzim

(of the likes-the-music-but-hates-the-lyrics-class)

• changeling
    changeling

Yeah, they still pop into my head every so often. I actually liked them. The song was my favorite part of most meetings!

changeling

• R.F.
    R.F.

I found myself humming some melodies the other day.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I even have a collection of them on my hard disk

I have the heavy metal and hip-hop versions.

• R.F.
    R.F.
    I have the heavy metal and hip-hop versions.

Are you talking about the ones the Governing Body didn't approve? I have some of those. It's like them to not approve the cool ones.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

You should check out Pat Boone Rocks the Watchtower in Leather on Columbia Records.

He did it after he did the Ozzy Osbourne cover album.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is the same sort of problem I used to have when the Christmas songs would start. They would be weakest right after Halloween, but even then they were a disturbance occasionally.

Now I actually look forward to the Christmas songs starting for the first time in 20 years. What I don't like is when the Kingdumb Sxxx gets a foothold. Usually it's one piece. I suppose that will happen for as long as I live, since even now I can remember portions of songs I last heard in 1969 and still haven't found the title or artist (nor any hope of downloading them). And, if certain Christmas songs were able to pop up despite being missed for a few years, the Kingdumb Maladies will probably do likewise.

Damn Kingdumb Maladies.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Think you have it bad? I was the piano player at the Hall until 1989 when the circuit overseer came around and decreed that each of us would be replaced by the WTS recordings.

I learned and practiced all 225 songs on the piano, so the songs were deeply embedded. They pop up at the oddest times, so I just try to recognize it and have a little fun with it -- now knowing that each song is a delusion.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, that is worse when you have had to actually play the piano. Not only did you have to listen to them, but you had to memorize them. That means it's going to take even longer to get rid of them all.

Here are some suggestions--in fact some are the same ones I used to use to minimize the Christmas songs when I was a Witless. It helps to have real music going at all times, preferably music that you enjoy a lot. If you have a past where you had a lot of good music but you forgot much of it, then I suggest getting a collection of songs from that period. Billboard charts are useful, but they can get on the expensive side (a decade of charts will set you back about $80). If you have Napster, you're in luck because you can browse songs by 3-month period and find the songs you missed, and download them.

If you can get Napster or Rhapsody, or you have a fair library of CDs, you can assemble playlists. Simply, a playlist is one memory from the past or one period you missed out on for the Tower. I have a lot of fun dissecting the 1970s and 1980s, as well as the late 1960s. You put the playlist together, and if you did everything right, it sounds like you are right back in that period when you play the list in shuffle order. (If not, then either you have songs that do not belong there or you are missing too many). Not to worry, since the Internet will help you find where the songs go and help you find most of the missing ones. (You can use LimeWire, but I recommend using that mostly for the elusive songs you cannot find elsewhere. If you use it for current songs, you are more likely to get in trouble plus you are usurping the artists' livelihoods.)

If you were raised in the Tower and never were allowed anything but Kingdumb Sxxx to listen to, it is a bit more difficult. In that case, pick a year when you were first conscious of being (usually your earliest cognizant memories are from there). Start working from there, using Napster's playlist or other Billboard research charts to assemble a playlist from then. Gradually work up from there, forming playlists from progressively later periods. Do that until the music becomes too dirty or boring for your tastes, or you find a type of music that you could listen to all the time. By the time you are finished, you should have somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 songs in your library and plenty of competition for the Kingdumb Sxxx that was embedded in your head.

No, this won't stop it totally. But, if you find and relearn another 5,000 songs from periods you likely missed, there will be something better to listen to. That will pick up better as you learn them, and pretty soon the Kingdumb Maladies will be recessed to the background. Of course, it goes without saying that you can never listen to that sxxx again unless you want it to play in your head for months to come.

Of course, it also helps if you can write up parodies of the maladies. One I can think of is "We Are Jehovah's Witlesses--We speak out in stupidness. Ours is a God of false prophesy, what He fortells fails to be". Another is "God's a Jerk and Therefore He Forbids Us from Ever Having Any Fun". You can think of others. Of course, that will also keep the tune going in your head, so this one is best only if you don't mind that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit