Can Atheists be ethical?

by nvrgnbk 38 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Atheists are ethical.

Christians & Moslems are obedient.

• Gopher
    Gopher

People will be ethical if they care about other people and if they care about what's in their own long-term best interests.

Some religionists have tunnel vision, thinking that religion equates to ethics or morals.

• nvrgnbk
  • Blueblades
    Blueblades

Religion poisons everything.

Blueblades

• changeling
    changeling

I don't have time to read it now, I'll come back to it later.

changeling

• KW13
    KW13

Of course they can, some of the nicest folks i know dont believe in God which surely makes their commitment to being ethical a greater one and one with bigger meaning because its done with no reward.

• changeling
    changeling

Ok, I just read it. What an idiot!!!! Basically he's saying that humans aren't capable of having an internal moral compass. That if they are not under the mandate of a god then, watch out, they might turn on you at any moment! He gives humanity no credit at all. It makes me sad that there are so many small minded people as this one walking around telling everyone else what to do. Excuse me while I go puke.

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

Let me rant some more... I do not need a god or a religion to tell me what I feel in my gut is right or wrong. I do not need them to tell me that the path of kindness is the right path. I do not need them to tell me to whom or when to show such kindness. In fact, when I "believed" , my hands and heart were tied in many instances when my gut told me to be kind. Today, I do not believe, and I am free to be "trully" good and have no restraints on my "goodness". How's that for ethics????

changeling

• zack
    zack

There's nothing wrong with Christ----- his followers, however, are a different story.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Of course atheists can't be ethical or moral - not left to their own devices at least. After all, they don't have a several thousand year old collection of scriptures to tell them how to act and treat others. Luckily, they can become slightly ethical by living among Christians, so that their unflinching morals and ethics can rub off on them. I mean - if you could just kill everyone around you constantly, and steal everything you saw with no God punishing you for it - wouldn't you do it? Of course you would! I would! I'd kill 'em all! Roast 'em and eat 'em. That's what you'd do if you didn't have Scripture. Poor atheists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit