QUESTION FOR BIBLE BELIEVERS Mathew 17:27

by fedorE 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fedorE
    fedorE

Uncertain: There is a great debate surging amongst the scholarly that it would have far more efficient for the Son of God to have pulled the coin from behind the tax collectors ear....or......"You want you 2shekels tax man?" "check under your right sandal" or "Peter lift up thy armpit thy shekel lyeth stuck to thy armpit"

• JCanon
    JCanon
    Uncertain: There is a great debate surging amongst the scholarly that it would have far more efficient for the Son of God to have pulled the coin from behind the tax collectors ear....or......"You want you 2shekels tax man?" "check under your right sandal" or "Peter lift up thy armpit thy shekel lyeth stuck to thy armpit"

You know, I think it was just totally INCIDENTAL. Think of the background here. Remember Judas? He had a money box and they used to COLLECT donations and give money to the POOR! So they had plenty of money. Money was no issue. Also there was a large collection of women, among them quite wealthy women like Jesus' aunt Salmone who took care of the needs of Jesus and his disciples. If they had enough money to collect for the poor, they certainly had enough money to pay some tax. So I think it was just at that moment, maybe when they were away from the money box or the women who were attending them and it was just Peter and Jesus together fishing, or etc. that it was just convenient to pay the tax. OR, as some have pointed out, maybe there's another message here. Maybe Jesus had plenty of money and could have paid the money out of the money box or personal funds, but wanted to make a point here. "Pay that Caesar's things to Ceasar" thus may have meant something more. That is, maybe that coin belonged to Caesar anyway, but it was lost in the sea. So what Jesus gave him back was his own money. Thus it really wasn't a tax at all. That money was lost to Ceasar since it was at the bottom of the sea, so he was giving it back to him in the name of paying his taxes. Now I have got to figure out how to make that work NOW. How can you get the government to pay your taxes for you? Hmmmmmm.... JC

• fedorE
    fedorE

JC...your 2 funny. I have to point out firstly that you still have time in your life for a stand up routine. I ll even pay to come see you....But somehow i think what you just said was meant to be serious so i ll say this. Money was no issue. Agreed.I am in 100% agreement with you . WE exist on the same page. The Son of God had just coined the phrase "Pay back to Ceaser the things that are Ceasers" following such a "dramatic" statement shouldn't be lip service, or a miracle much less a magic trick. It would reasonably follow that money be produced to satisfy the request.Simple request Tax collector:"hey pay the tax you damn freaks" Jesus: "Hey Peter give Ceaser what he wants" NOT GO FISHING AND THE FIRST FISH U FIND IS GOING TO HAVE A SHEKEL IN ITS MOUTH PULL IT OUT AND GIVE IT TO THE TAX GUY"

REGARDING THE "OTHER MESSAGE" u talked about... As soon as YOU or I start saying what Jesus could have meant here, is, perhaps this message or that message, as soon as we start reasoning like that, we start to introduce things that arent in the text. So lets avoid that part and admit that there is a "strangeness" here. I will admit that maybe the guy that was writing about the event wrote down what he thought happened and in that case it s a whole other can of worms(Holy spirit batman!)

• fedorE
    fedorE

found another response to this "We see here the omniscience of Christ and his dominion over all creatures" spoken like a true believer and born again christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit