SIDS & Long QT Syndrome

by minu 6 Replies latest jw friends

• minu
    minu

After reading Tatiana's post about her granddaughter, I wanted to do some research on SIDS and the connection with Long QT Syndrome. I haven't done enough research to satisfy my curiosity but wonder if anyone has further information about either of these medical problems.

My niece was diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome at her birth. My sister was told at 7 months old that her baby had a serious irregular heartbeat. At 2 days old, my niece had to have surgery to have a pacemaker installed. I have read that some SIDS cases might possibly be Long QT Syndrome but the doctors are either not educated enough about the disease or it's too late to find out because you have to have a beating heart to diagnose Long QT Syndrome. Both medical issues are sad and heart wrenching. I wonder how they could be able to determine whether SIDS is something that can be prevented. Also, how they can test babies for this Long QT Syndrome so that families don't have to go through such extreme emotions after the birth of a baby.

My sister was told by doctors that because of the severity of my neice's Long QT Syndrome, she could have a fatal arrythimia most likely in her sleep.

Again, my heart goes out to Tatiana and her family, it's such a sad situation.

BTW, on a side note this website had limited information on SIDS and Long QT Syndrome (IMO) but it did have a link for Jehovah's Witness Depression. http://energeticsolutions.com.au

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

minu,

I'm an RN but I have to admit that I don't know much about SIDS. I really haven't worked much in pediatrics and only did it during my rotation in nursing school and that was 20+ years ago

It's very sad and my heart is broken for Tatiana and her family. She is such a caring person and I wish I could just give her a great big hug in person. There are no words no action that could possibly make her feel better, but sometimes just knowing that other people are there to comfort you can give that little extra push you need to get through the initial shock!

I'm gonna do some research (that sounds so JW'ish to me) and if I find out anything interesting I'll send it to you.

nj

• Paksen
    Paksen

I'm glad there is a post about this. My husband had open heart surgery at 10 days and at 6 years old, for co-arcation of the aorta. His cardiac surgeon told his parents that he believes that most SIDS cases are because if this condition. And it is easily missed by doctors in delivery. I read the post by Tatiana, and my love goes out to her and her daughter and family for their loss.

Paks

• minu
    minu
    if I find out anything interesting I'll send it to you.

Thanks ex-nj-jw. I hope science can help find something soon for this issue. It's so heartbreaking.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Just this morning I noticed a book by G. Ottaviani Springer called "Crib Death - Sudden Unexplained Death of Infants, a Pathologists View"

I checked it out and it had part of the appendix dedicated to Long QT Syndrome. This is a very recent book. I don't claim to know anything about this subject, so I thought I'd post the section for you in case it was something that you can use.

"IV.2.7 Long QT Syndrome
    A notable example of multifocal apoptotic degeneration of the sinus node occurs in
    victims dying of the LQT syndrome, a clinical entity characterized by sinus bradycardia
    [96, 105, 210]. Sudden unexpected death is one of the clinical characteristics
    of the LQT syndrome and has often been found to be mediated by lethal ventricular
    arrhythmias. It is logical to anticipate that the normal occurrence of apoptotic cell
    death during postnatal morphogenesis of the sinus node will periodically distort
    or suppress normal sinus rhythm [106]. Moreover, in the LQT syndrome apoptotic
    destruction involves not only the myocytes of the sinus node but also many local
    nerves and ganglia [96, 105].
    QT prolongation could be dangerous in babies and a possible cause of their fatal
    arrhythmia [76, 260], but solid evidence of its occurrence is still lacking and such an
    association is still a matter of controversy. The capricious nature of episodic QT prolongation
    documented in human infants poses difficulties in demonstrating lethal
    cardiac electrical instability [96, 210].
    Schwartz et al. [254], in a 19-year prospective study, performed follow-up electrocardiography
    in an unselected population of over 33,000 infants, and concluded
    that congenital prolongation of the QT interval accounts for a proportion of SIDS
    cases. Their results underline the potential value of neonatal electrocardiographic
    screening for an early identification of a prolonged long QT interval and consequent
    preventive treatment of the affected infants [221, 254]. However, Schwartz
    et al. admitted that the LQT syndrome may account for only a fraction of the crib
    death cases, and precise quantification of this fraction remains difficult despite the
    data obtained from their large epidemiological study [254, 255]. Guntheroth and
    Spiers [76] state that submitting all infants and newborns to electrocardiographic
    screening would be ineffective and a waste of medical resources, and it would cruelly
    alarm thousands of parents.
    Recent studies also indicate further close clinicopathogenetic analogies with arrhythmogenic
    lethal late repolarization, attended by fetal developmental impairments
    of the conduction system, often resulting in accessory AV pathways, whose
    high frequency in SIDS has been documented in the present cases and is entirely
    consistent with junctional tachycardia [247]. An important report, in this connection,
    is that of Kuo et al. [126] who emphasize the possible role of the conduction system
    among the ontogenetic substrates of the Ito abnormalities. This genetic clinicopathological
    suggestion is further substantiated by recent work coauthored by Rossi
    [16] on the life-threatening potential of WPW syndrome, whose common accessory
    AV pathway substrate was proven occasionally to have a genetic association [67].
    Viskin et al. [276] recommend genetic screening in every case of probable LQT
    syndrome, and state that a positive result will confirm the diagnosis but that no
    mutations are found in many patients with a definite diagnosis of LQT syndrome, so
    a negative result is not very helpful. In any case, genetic testing might take months,
    and the patient needs treatment [210, 276]."

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thank you for this info. I have been up most of the night studing and researching this. It just makes no sense to me. But, I am seeing more and more info on this Long QT Syndrome. I am going to talk to the doctors today about it. Of course, they can't tell now. I read where they can't diagnose after...

Also, I'm reading about "breathback," or "REbreathing." Where the baby takes such short breaths, the carbon dioxide goes back into their lungs. This is too much.

Right now, I am in a calm state. I don't know how, but I seem to be alternating between calm/numb and hysterical crying. How in the world can anyone be strong? How. It's not possible.

• minu
    minu
    I seem to be alternating between calm/numb and hysterical crying

Tatiana, take all the time you need to grieve. Remember that grieving is a natural process.

(((((((Tatiana & Family))))))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit