Jehovah's Witnesses in Crisis. My initial observations.

by candidlynuts 17 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

I recieved my copy today and have only spent an hour or so in looking it over.

I want to commend Barbara Anderson and those who assisted her , this is very well written and compelling. If you haven't ordered a copy yet, I encourage you to do so.

(forgive me if i word this badly my Awake college education might show ) My initial reaction to what I've been reading is how the watchtower society lawyers, headquarters etc does not apper to be any kind of organization led by God. It appears to be a business trying to protect it's treasures stored upon the earth. There is some lip service of concern for children but overall the main concern of the watchtower seems to be in protecting it's business money and reputation. Which is fine for any multi national/ multi billion dollar business, what is so hurtful though is that the watchtower presents itself as God's Organization. A spiritual paradise. A happy people. Sadly, those things seem important to the average Jehovah's Witness but glaringly you see how overall the Watchtower is just a business full of lawyers who seek to protect money over children.

for example:

the Tele-Memo mentioned on page 68

An Excerpt from page 68:

Begin Quote"

alt"End Quote

Barbara provides a scan of the Tele -Memo on pages 69-73 where it plainly says make the call annonymously. Also question 13 is an expected one " Who else has knowledge of abuse".........it makes me wonder if how widely known it is plays into whether or not it was reported back before the laws protecting children and requiring reporting came into effect.

Reading the Plaintiffs claims is eye opening and I'll spend more time going thru them and maybe post some impressions at a later time. Note that I'm just an uneducated reader and these are just my personal reactions and opinons. Many times in my brief read thru I was gasping in horror and outrage. And I grieve that MY OWN CHILDREN are still part of this organization. For your info although I have posted about it before, there was a pedophile in our congregation, the elders knew, he went out in service , attended meetings and I never would have known if an elders child hadn't told my child. The elder made sure his own children were warned and protected but not my children. A spiritual paradise indeed.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

C-nuts - Thanx for posting that. I await my copy. Hopefully it gets here soon.

What horror on the part of a parent who realizes too late that a molester was let on the loose, and now other children have been hurt also, due to the retarded dictates of a book publisher playing God.

Jeff

• choosing life
    choosing life

Awaiting my copy also. It looks like a lot of anger is about to be stirred up.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

definitely anger

i was also overwhelmed at the sadness having such obvious confirmation that it isnt " the truth"

which made for some unwelcome soul searching..was part of me still wishing it was the truth? i dont know.

it's just so sad that children are hurt and their abusers are protected "in the name of god" in any religion.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

"A mandatory reporter is a person who is required to report suspected cases of child abuse and neglect."

Usually it is a condition of employment for various professions or jobs that involve gaining a postion of trust with children: child care workers, teachers, counselors and therapists who work with children, doctors and those investigating child abuse. In my work, I have had to sign a Mandatory Reporter agreement, be fingerprinted, etc. Often, but not always the clergy are included in this list. And there are various statutes from state to state that define "clergy confidentiality."

It will be interesting to compare the mandatory reporter laws of the states where JW child abuse occurred. JWs should adopt the practice of informing potential elders that they are mandatory reporters whether or not the law of their state requires it. It is would be quite a leap for a cult that asks if "the child in any way provoked the sexual abuse."

More about Mandatory Reporters here: http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/clergymandated.cfm

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

That's it....I am ordering my copy now.

Thanks for the push.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thanks for the link bizzybee i'll be looking at it in detail as soon as i have time.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I don't know if my mind can handle a copy.

Just reading what Candy posted about what happened in Fayetteville, TN. made me throw up.

I have 2 minor children trapped in the cult and their mother trusts all the 'brothers' without question.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

Honesty, it is emotional to go thru.. especially the lawsuits , reading item after item of the horrifying alledged offenses all the while realizing the watchtower chose to offer a settlement instead of defending themselves makes me sick to my stomach. But you know? the victims had to go thru a whole lot worse . This information needs to get out to the public so they can see the extent of the offenses. I'm not really talking about the actual sexual abuse, as bad as that was, its the heartless stance the watchtower has taken as an entity representing god in dealing with the victims of pedophelia. The scope of the offenses has been touched on over the years, reading the lists of alledged offenses is overwhelming. Seriously, you've never ever seen a compilation of information that really exposes the enormity of the problems.

The watchtower chose not to defend itself against these charges. 2 potential reasons.. money and the realization that they simply have no defense.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I just checked my mailbox again, I'm anxiously awaiting my copy!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit