Death in the Bible

by Mrs. Witness 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

This morning it occured to me how much death is in the Bible. Just off the top of my head: Cain & Abel, the flood, the guy who was going to sacrifice his son (Isaac?), the slaughter at Jericho, Jesus (and that includes torture), and all the death in Revelation. Can anyone think of any more?

• fokyc
    fokyc

it-2p.843 Valley of Salt

After the second conflict, 10,000 Edomites were hurled to their deaths from a crag, but the location of that crag is not stated.—2Ch 25:11, 12.

In the first battle, David and Joab (evidently with Abishai in charge of at least some of the troops) struck down 18,000 Edomites in the Valley of Salt. (2Sa 8:13; 1Ki 11:15; 1Ch 18:12; Ps 60:Sup) Later, King Amaziah (858-830 B.C.E.) attacked and slaughtered 10,000 Edomites in the same valley, following this with the execution of 10,000 Edomites who were captured, as well as the seizing of the Edomite stronghold Sela.—2Ki 14:7; 2Ch 25:11, 12; see EDOM, EDOMITES.

and many thousands more in other battles etc.

fokyc

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Can anyone think of any more?

-This could become a very long thread...

The Bible is filled with death. Death is a natural thing, but the old testament is full of battles and killings and deseases that kill etc.

185.000 soldiers killed in one night by an angel. 42 kids (or young men) killed by two bears sent by God because the kids were mocking God's prophet. Every first born Egyptian.

Well - the list goes on and on. Pretty much every other page has something.

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

The valley of salt entry jogged my memory: Lot's wife.

• freeme
    freeme

sodom&gomorra

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Good one freeme. As a side note: How disgusting is it that Lot would have given his daughters to the mob? Perhaps he was one of the first JW elders? Maybe a GB member?

• eclipse
    eclipse

David's first baby with Bathsheba.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Egyptions in the red sea.

Moses killing the guard

Israelites that worshiped the golden calf

Israelites that slept with Canaanite women

The ethnic cleansing of the promised land...

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

what about Jehovah getting so pissed at david for calling for a census that he struck down 70K people with a plague..

gives you the warm fuzzies...dontcha wanna worship a god like that?

• beginnersmind
    beginnersmind
    As a side note: How disgusting is it that Lot would have given his daughters to the mob?

I agree. Someone once said to me about this that the mob where all gay and they wouldnt have touched them anyway. If that was the case what was the point in saying it? Doesnt make sense. Only makes sense if he meant it ergo disgusting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit