Do you suffer from RELIGIOUS HYPOCHONDRIA???

by Terry 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Healthy people don't go to a doctor. If they do they are hypochondriacs. Hypochondriacs spend their time and money on imagined illnesses. They seek out physicians who will take their money and treat them even though there is no ailment to be cured!

Now, think about what religion does. It begins with a premise. That premise in its most basic form is hypchondria.

How so? Religions offers A WAY. A way to do what? FIX YOUR PROBLEM. For you to need to fix your problem you must buy in to the illusion you have a problem and that it is fixable.

Okay? That is step one. What kind of fix are we talking about? What do the religion hucksters offer?

Religions differ; but, essentially they offer at least some of the following:

1.A way out of death

2.Enlightenment

3.A close personal relationship with deity.

4.Super powers

5.A brotherhood/sisterhood support group

6.Superior knowledge of life's purpose

7.Things to do (how to spend your time and money).

THIS MEANS THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU NEED THESE THINGS. IT MEANS YOU CANNOT FIGURE THEM OUT FOR YOUSELF. IT MEANS YOU ARE CONDEMNED TO IGNORANCE UNLESS YOU FOLLOW THE CHOSEN PATH.

This isn't too hard to understand, is it?

The label each religion puts on these things is represented by a different terminology.

Buddhism tells you to stop your desires and do your duty and you'll stop being born/reborn (i.e. death). Christianity essentially bans these desires, prescribes your duty and gives you one rebirth and escape from death.

RELIGION GIVES "THE ANSWER".

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

So are you saying that those who prescribe to any sort of religion are unbalanced and/or mentally ill?

So where does one go to find a "fix" for arrogance?

• John Doe
    John Doe

What's wrong with arrogance? I'd be more inclined to worry about being right than not being arrogant.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, but you can be right and not be arrogant.

This is just plain arrogant. To have such low regard for those that don't believe as you do Terry, is kinda sad and considering your intelligence, kinda surprising.

You can take the dub out of the hall, but you can't take the hall out of the dub, eh?

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

It's not about being wrong or right, it's about allowing people to find their own personal growth and beliefs, without fear of being labeled and mocked.

And being "right"? I think it's better that people can be free to find whats "right" for them.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

It seems that some are becoming a little perturbed at our dear Terry.

My sense is he is going through something I too went through not very long ago; and that is an acute awareness of the dangers and harm of religion and their deities. In fact religion may very well be the most mind-numbing, divisive and destructive machine of the past 2000 years. You see this, and natural instincts arise to save your fellow man from drinking the poison. Sometimes we may slap the glass out of peoples hands a little too hard. We forget that folks may not see the bigger picture and present dangers that we see, as they sing koom-by-ya, live and let live.

Since I don't have any religious beliefs or god to protect, it's easy to sit back and enjoy Terry's intelligent efforts of educating people and revealing their illusory and harmful mental constructs; and he certainly does make many think about and see things they may never have allowed themselves to ponder or behold before.

So, savor Terry's posts, as this too will pass, and he will likely return to the fluffy little love-bunny that he really is.

j

alt

• Terry
    Terry

So are you saying that those who prescribe to any sort of religion are unbalanced and/or mentally ill?

So where does one go to find a "fix" for arrogance?

When people jump at the chance to feel insulted FIRST before even considering whether something has merit it is usually because a cherished belief has been punctured and EMOTION wins the race over rational consideration.

What I'm saying is really simple.

If somebody convinces you there is something wrong with you and says they can fix it--it puts them in a nice position to milk you of resources.

Look at the cosmetic industry. Make-up is sold by the billions of dollars because consumers are taught they are ugly without it and have to "make-up" for their deficiencies.

• Terry
    Terry

This is just plain arrogant. To have such low regard for those that don't believe as you do Terry, is kinda sad and considering your intelligence, kinda surprising.

So, instead of wincing at my "arrogance" why not demonstrate how I'm wrong by setting forth a well-reasoned argument?

Is it just easier to call somebody a name and then dismiss them?

Isn't that more like what JW's do?

JW's won't debate ideas anymore. They shut their minds, call names and slink off to the Kingdom Hall.

This is a Discussion Board. It is for Discussion and not dismissal and ad hominem.

• Terry
    Terry

Hey, James Thomas, where did you get my High School graduation picture??

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

People generally fear the unknown.

Trying to yank the rug out from under people that have not come to terms with the unknown is going to be met with heavy resistance.

It's about as comforting as playing Russian Roulette with one empty chamber. Until science can answer the big question "what happens after death" it is a theory in progress. History has proven that early theories aren't well accepted by the masses, regardless of how hard you bludgeon the potential converts over the head.

The question that will be lobbed at you from the other side of the fence is, "if there is no God, what is the purpose of life?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit