When did we stop being customers and start being consumers?

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I really hate the word "consumer" - I see it all the time, in reports, business news, the markets.

Consumers aren't consuming, they aren't spending.

A consumer sounds like some brainless automaton whose sole purpose is, well, to consume.

In the old days we were customers who made purchases - now we just consume.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

• educ8self
    educ8self

You betcha. Even in the information age where people consume all that's on the internet, etc. it's not exactly a wise investment for the most part, or much of a meaningful exchange right? And for that matter, how many are truly productive - or is it just regurgitating the same in slightly different forms?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

We consume the products made by those who produce so they can make money off of our desires to have things we don't need. We are a heard of cattle to be milked for our wealth then discarded once we have no more to give. We are merely a resource to exploit. We are consumers.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I love this thread. Makes me feel great about being a cheapo. I consume as little as humanly possible. Feels so good to stick it to the man!

• changeling
    changeling

I think it's all semantics. Some newscaster probably started using the term "consumer" in lieu of customer and it caught on. Don't worry , they'll come up with a new one soon enough.

changeling

• educ8self
    educ8self

Although there's something to be said for customers being more informed, you have to buy into something - whereas consumers just consume. All you can eat is not necessarily a good thing.

• beksbks
    beksbks

What about "customer service"? Anyone notice that sales people have no use for you. Actually we are really putting a crimp in their style. It didn't used to be like that, there used to be competition for our business.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Google the term "Consumerism" .

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

People don't consume? Have you seen the landfills lately?

• defective light
    defective light

We all became consumers, when we were forced to join the "Global Village" we gave up our rights to good customer service / friendly service, common courtesy, and decent products, so that greedy companies can make huge profits and continue to pilfer the pockets of everybody....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit