A few questions for the Brits!

by smellsgood 19 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

Basically yes, Health Care in Britain is free its paid through Tax. Healthcare is still free for those on benefits.

As for Yanks and Accents, its usually Yanks loving mine and worshipping the ground that i walk upon.

• ninja
    ninja

just a wee note about american television in scotland
    of course people might think we are behind the times here but it's not true at all
    we get all the up to date programmes here....i.e kojak,the waltons,little house on the prairie and my favourite...the rockford files
    the people on the scottish islands are a bit behind the times though.....one time I saw a guy from the islands staring at something and he asked me...."is that one of them skyscrapers I've heard so much about"??.....I had to tell him ...no it's a postbox....who loves ya baby.....ninja

• vitty
    vitty

Dont get me starting on Victoria Beckham.............................glad shes over there.

• KW13
    KW13
    just a wee note about american television in scotland
    of course people might think we are behind the times here but it's not true at all
    we get all the up to date programmes here....i.e kojak,the waltons,little house on the prairie and my favourite...the rockford files
    the people on the scottish islands are a bit behind the times though.....one time I saw a guy from the islands staring at something and he asked me...."is that one of them skyscrapers I've heard so much about"??.....I had to tell him ...no it's a postbox....who loves ya baby.....ninja

And this was only recently, last year one scotsman asked me how the moonlanding was going!

• ninja
    ninja

hey KW at least he knew to ask a space cadet

• KW13
    KW13
    hey KW at least he knew to ask a space cadet

lol

• greendawn
    greendawn

I like Burger King because of the barbecue taste of their meat, McDonalds is too bland and boring. Petrol (gas in the USA) does cost around $9 per UK gallon or $7.6 per US gallon. I believe unversity fees can be up to £3000 per year for home students which includes EU students. Much more for the rest of the world.

I haven't been to a dentist in the UK for a few years but before there was a maximum one would pay for treatment with an NHS dentist and it was around £250 ie $500 no matter by how much the total cost exceeded this.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Wow. I can't imagine such a thing as free healthcare. I myself am not insured, and just a visit to the Doctor for like 10 min. costs 55-110 dollars. Then w/ prescriptions, I had one for Ambien, since it's not generic, it cost $80 for fifteen pills!

Ninja, has Charles in Charge or Growing Pains managed to find their way to the Scottish airwaves? It would make America proud to disseminate more fully the jewels in our Sitcom crown. Full House maybe? Step by Step?

Greendawn, thank you! Yeah! I love Burger King. I still remember the days when their fries weren't spackled. Those were the days.

• greendawn
    greendawn

This is what we find difficult to believe, America the richest country in the world does not provide free or at least partly free medical care for its citizens. I wonder what happens to someone that suffers a heart attack and has no money to pay for treatment or insurance, will that person be left to die? Or let's say a cancer or kidney problem sufferer what happens to them?

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

This is what we find difficult to believe, America the richest country in the world does not provide free or at least partly free medical care for its citizens. I wonder what happens to someone that suffers a heart attack and has no money to pay for treatment or insurance, will that person be left to die? Or let's say a cancer or kidney problem sufferer what happens to them?>>>>>>>>

Good question greendawn! I don't think that care is denied in a catastrophic/emergency setting. You can go to the emergency room and they won't ask you for money upfront.

My grandma has tremendous heart problems, I know they've filed for medical bankruptcy, but she still is receiving all the care she needs.

You will get treated I think.

I do remember a story of a young couple and a child who had cancer. They had crap insurance, so what happened is they ended up being up 1/2 million dollars in debt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit