Jehovah's Witnesses and Showing Off

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Es
    Es

Oh yeah I totally agree, at least thats what it was like in our district, all the sisters parading in there new outfits, me included, Sunday was the day when we would wear all our new stuff and strut around.

And then you would see the new couples walking round hand in hand, next convention they would be married, convention after that they would be carrying a baby heheh.

They have nothing better to do I guess

es

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

I used to look forward to seeing friends at the conventions that I had not seen in a while, but I always made sure I was dressed to the 9's. I did not enjoy being single in the borg either--I was constantly being asked what was wrong with me that I was not married and the conventions offered opportunity to meet someone. Blech! I had it made as a single gal then and wished I had valued that a bit more carefully.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I always felt pressured to dress up for conventions..but after a while I just started wearing the same clothes I wore to the meetings...But I rather vividly remember that single people would see conventions like bar hopping..Time to scope out the prospects....

• tan
    tan
    Sunday was the day when we would wear all our new stuff and strut around.

You are so right. That was the big day even for regular meetings. And if there was a special talk - "woah!!!" That was it! You had to be dressed for that talk.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I think what I noticed about Conventions was this:

Since JW's don't get to go to proms or class reunions, basically fun and special occasions unless it is a wedding, conventions and assemblies make up for that.

So in comes the new hair dos, the new dresses or suits. It's the time that people can have mini reunions with people that they haven't seen in ages.

Are they showing off? I'm sure some are. But some are just enjoying whatever they can get out of life.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

"And then when I realize my family is at the convention and my mother is no doubt depressed because I'm not there and that makes me angry. I'm angry because I miss my mother desperately, and because she will never see the truth about "The Truth." And she won't allow herself to have any kind of normal relationship with me because of my choice to not be there."

But how is your choice not to be there forcing her to do something so abnormal? She has also made a choice, based on many irrational assumptions about you and the outside world. If your mother is depressed, it is more the result of her sickness, and far away from the fact that you aren't at her dumb convention, sharing her misery and familiar pain. Her depression is not about you. It is about her. Period.

• flipper
    flipper

Good Girl- I remember coming from a man's viewpoint here, even other brothers bragging about their new cars or houses, spending lots of time showing off to impress others . I wasn't wealthy raising 3 kids and a wife back then (1980's) but we were middle class, but felt like I was always being pressured to keep up with the joneses so to speak. Then I realized as I got older, it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about what you have, it's what you are as a person that counts

• 1914!
    1914!

I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world to get dressed up in a suit and tie only to sit in the sweltering heat at the outdoor stadium district convention. If the 90 yr old geezer giving the talk didn't bore you to death, the afternoon sun threatening your then-morning shade would probably melt you before the day was up.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't know how much they were trying to prove superior to anyone else on a material level but they certainly were a very materialistic lot in that they were obsessed with material rather than spiritual goods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit