Meteor shower tonight!

by BrentR 35 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrentR
    BrentR

Tonight and into tomarrow morning is the annual Perseids meteor shower. This year will be great viewing since the moon will not be up to drown out the meteors. The activity should start peeking around midnight and you want to be looking northeast.

Early next month a very rare shower (The Aurigids) that astronomers know very little about.

Read more here:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/070809_seti_aurigids.html

I live way out at the base of the Cascade mountains so I have no light pollution from any cities. That makes any meteor shower even more intense to watch.

alt

• greendawn
    greendawn

Fortunately it can be viewed from anywhere in the northern hemisphere the only condition is that the sky will be clear if that happens then it will be a great stroke of luck. Watching such a powerful phenomenon expands the human imagination.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It's most likely going to be overcast here. I am lucky to get to see them 50% of the time.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the heads up.

• Scully
    Scully

I'm a big fan of these meteor showers. I think I'll talk to Mr Scully to see if we can take a drive out to the deep rurals tonight so we can watch some natural fireworks!

It's hard to improve on a great show like this, but I have just the right bottle of wine to go with it.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Should be getting home from work about then. Supposed to be clear here. Thanks for the notice. I watched one last year and it was great, but didn't start till 3 am. Will look forward to it. Thanks again.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Don't forget mosquito repellant! Them little bastids love stationary targets.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Brent!

So that explains what I saw this early morn between 2:00 and 5:00. Also saw several satellites trailing along on their set course while the mets zoomed past in random fashion [well, it APPEARED random!].

CoCo

• ninja
    ninja

that is why no mad ancient cults came from scotland....we only see the sky once a year through the clouds......when it is a sunny day...every kid in scotland stops and asks their mum.....mum....what is that yellow thing in the sky???? to which she replies...I dont know ..... I've only seen it a couple of times before....it makes the rain warmer though

• horrible life
    horrible life

Tonight is the best viewing. I love to watch meteor showers.

I HAVE A COMPLAINT.

I have to work tomorrow. I can't stay up too late.

Why don't they schedule these things when I don't have to work the next day??????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit