Secular theology

by DeusMauzzim 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

Modernity - Nietzsche's prophetic age of Nihilism:

We have come to know that the bible can not be taken literally anymore

We have come to know that the unity of the bible is a myth

We have come to know that we arose through the process of evolution.

We have come to know that in all likelyhood we do not live on after we die.

There will probably come a time that, like every species, the human race must go extinct.

Science gave us these answers that we cannot ignore. Science knows of no sacred things. Our universe has become radically profane.

The traditional language about God has quite literally become meaningless to us. We even suspect He is not there at all.

We live in the light of already extinguished stars (Nietzsche, fragments)

And in all this existential angst , even atheistic nihilists like myself look up to the image of Jesus on the stauros, his arms stretched out to embrace all of humanity, even in his hour of suffering.

Can there be a theology without God?

Can one stand before God in unbelief?

What of those who want to believe, but cannot? (Antonius Block in The Seventh Seal)

- Deus Mauzzim

de profundis clamavi ad te domine / domine exaude vocem meam

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    What of those who want to believe, but cannot ?

Hello.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

believers de minimis non curat

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Christains come to know Yahweh through Jesus Christ and that is from the HOLY SCRIPTURES from the Bible, and not the ancient hermetic viewpoints.

And we come to know that only Jesus can judge your heart.

I ll pray that you will see threw those writings and turn you life back around.

Go in peace.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Childhood's end. It's time for individuals to find their own god, their own jesus. Look inside themselves. Are they spirit, or, are they not? Can't find god? Can't find jesus? Are they just imaginal? What is real? At any rate, we have the luxury of casting off second hand beliefs and deities.

S

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Deus

I've got a question for you - I've been reading a little of Heidegger's work and he mentions nihilism. So does Heidegger's nihilism mean the same as Neitzche's? What does nihilism mean anyway

• eclipse
    eclipse

Christains come to know Yahweh through Jesus Christ and that is from the HOLY SCRIPTURES from the Bible, and not the ancient hermetic viewpoints.

And we come to know that only Jesus can judge your heart.

I ll pray that you will see threw those writings and turn you life back around.

Go in peace

It is interesting that you state that only christians come to know Jesus.

This is inaccurate.

There are Jewish people that believe that Jesus is God's son, they call themselves messianic Jews.

Are we not people first?

Just because that the bible states that the scriptures are holy does not necessarily make them so.

It takes faith to believe, not proof.

You tell us to see through these writings, but we could say the same to you about the Bible.

Peace is reversing ignorance with knowledge, logic and reason.

Is it not presumptuous to tell someone to turn their life around when they are already free from the chains of myth-belief?

To you, it is truth. That is great for you that you believe.

It would be refreshing to just agree to disagree.

I really appreciate those balanced christians here who respect other's right to not ''believe''.

As we respect your right to believe.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Deus,

i like your style dude!

some of my thoughts:

Secular theology

that's one label. once you come to the secular place though, it sort of becomes anthropology at that point. ;)

Science knows of no sacred things.

except for the method in which it arrived at it's knowledge. parsimony runs deeper than mathematicians give it credit for.

Our universe has become radically profane.

your response to the universe has become profane. in other words, it may seem profane to you, but it doesn't mean it is. after all, it just is. neither profane or moral. the universe for me has become radically indifferent. but my acceptance of the indifference has shown me that if i smile compassionately at it, there is a slight smile i receive in return. it's slight, but you have to be already smiling. why? because you are a god, and so is the universe. why? because there is no separation between you and the universe. don't let your ego convince you there is, for there is where the profanity resides.

We live in the light of already extinguished stars (Nietzsche, fragments)

and to a giant black hole all our atoms shall return!!

And in all this existential angst , even atheistic nihilists like myself look up to the image of Jesus on the stauros, his arms stretched out to embrace all of humanity, even in his hour of suffering.

our egos have much angst. they want to literally be in knowledge of every literal atom in the cosmos. which is to say that they want control of every atom in the cosmos, and will not stop until they have it. but you are not your ego. jesus (or the man we have invented to represent the label called "Christ") understood that. we don't have to look at the form of jesus nazareth on the cross to transcend the angst. we just have to understand the archetype in ourselves that "Christ" represents. if you represent that archetype well, without ego interference, then you will probably talk like jesus even though you are an "atheist" (to all but the God that you are, right? hehe)

Can there be a theology without God?

yes. it depends what your definition of God is. if God is the Cosmos to you, then what is its theology?

Can one stand before God in unbelief?

yes, because it is only via the unbelief of one literal God, that you come to understand your own divinity/godliness that resides no where else than inside you. your disbelief in one thing is belief in another. might as well make it worthwhile.

What of those who want to believe, but cannot?

you should only believe what you know. if you cannot "know", then you don't exist.

i mean, don't waste your time trying to believe in something that doesn't exist. just believe. no trying. just doing. turn inward and you will find that the word "cannot" is replaced with "know". self-knowledge is the knowledge of God. don't go looking for it anywhere out there.

tetra

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

@ Quitetlyleaving

I can't do better than quote the first lines of the wikipedia article on Nihilism for "what it is, anyway":

Nihilism (from the Latinnihil, nothing) is a philosophical position which argues that the world, especially past and current human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value. Nihilists generally assert some or all of the following: there is no reasonable proof of the existence of a higher ruler or creator, a "true morality" does not exist, and secular ethics are impossible; therefore, life has no truth, and no action can be preferable to any other.

Yes, a very depressive position. No wonder people like Nietzsche went mad

Nietzsche used the term "nihilism" to describe the time after the famous "death of God". By the way Nietzsche, did not mean this litterally, but as the shattering of the cultural concept of God in the 19th century, by the "knives" of science. God had been the "greatest thing ever made by mankind", the focal point for all values, truth and purpose in life. With the death of God, these three have also disappeared. But wait, people didn't go mad globally after the 19th century! That is (according to Nietzsche) because people live as if God and with Him values, truth and purpose are still all there, they just call it differently (nationalism, positivism, ideologies in general). These are the shadows of God. Those are still around even today.

Heidegger's basic critique on western philosophy and science was that in all it's modification of being (Sein) for technological improvement, it has forgotten to ask what being itself is, it just skipped that question conveniently (Seinsvergessenheit). In this sense, western metaphysics is nihilistic: it has always forgotten to ask what being is in itself. Heidegger's philosophy is one great attempt to find the answer to this question (cf Heideggers analysis of truth (greek aletheia) which is a-letheia 'un-forgetting' (think of the river Lethe) : Remembering that which is forgotten, which is being itself)

Kind Regards,

Deus Mauzzim

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    What of those who want to believe, but cannot?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit