Of all the billions of planets - why did the demons get sent to Earth?

by truthseeker 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Some say it is fitting that the demons were hurled down to Earth because the original serpent began his rebellion against God in the Garden of Eden. Yet, what happened is tantamount to unlocking every prison on Earth and letting murderers, rapists and evildoers go free to terrorize humanity. The angels were aware of the effects of the expulsion of the demons and their leader - "Be glad you heavens and you who reside in them." "Woe for the earth and the sea because the devil has come down to you." How can this situation be fair?

• Jesika
    Jesika

Hey (((((truth)))) long time.

My guess is it has to do with the "apple insident". If that had not happened then they might have gone somewhere else? *shrugging*

Just a guess. I do agree that it sucks.

Jes

• Mum
    Mum

Because the people who wrote those words had no concept of other planets as anything other than "the heavens," so earth was the only place those demons could have landed if they were cast out of heaven (just a guess). Hey! Let's send them to some other unsuspecting planet. Then our JW friends won't need Jehovah so much and can let go of concern about demons hiding their personal items or making them do stupid things.

Regards,

SandraC

• wednesday
    wednesday

Jesika,

how are you? it has been so long

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hi Jesika, Nice to see you again! Hope you're keeping well.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It has to be that a fall to the earth from heaven has a figurative meaning it stands for loss of status and power dropping from the powerful heavens to the weaker earth.

Alternatively god may wish to use the demons in a punitive way against the criminally minded humans by using the very negative and destructive energies inherent to the irreversibly evil demonic nature against them.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Alternatively god may wish to use the demons in a punitive way against the criminally minded humans by using the very negative and destructive energies inherent to the irreversibly evil demonic nature against them.

WTF!?

Aren't the criminally-minded(what's that mean anyway?) the way they are because of genetics and environment, rather than some good or evil hocus-pocus?

Social Policies: If persons are not self-made, but entirely the product of genetic and environmental conditions, this means that their virtues and faults are not a matter of will or self-chosen character. Rather, individuals are shaped by circumstances that can themselves be modified to produce people that are happier, more productive, more creative, and less needy. The myth of ultimate self-determination ( contra-causal free will) blocks the design of a more humane society by blaming persons for their shortcomings instead of understanding the conditions that create them. Likewise, this myth touts material success as the triumph of free will, so that it's thought to be justifiably restricted to those who "deserve" to succeed. Under naturalism, the allocation of resources is understood not to reflect what is deserved on the basis of self-caused virtue , but what is needed for each of us to live a desirable life . Therefore social policies will be encouraged which seek to maximize the opportunities for each person's development, independent of differences ininherited talent or social status. See the Social Justice page.

http://www.naturalism.org/conseque.htm

Why doesn't God do what He must to make life better for everyone, instead of being so consumed with punishing the "wicked"?

And to send demons here to "punish" or test humans amounts to entrapment.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I love that question.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Well - not sure how to answer this. But since this is a forum mainly for former JWs, I would answer that Earth according to the Bible is the only (or at least first) planet to have life on it. That whole Adam+Eve+Satan+Job thing is a test only this planet has to go through, because this is where it all started. So when everything's settled here, humans can inhabit other planets (or God may decide to create life elsewhere), and what happened on Earth will have created a precedent in matters like these (the sovereignty of God). That's pretty much what I would have answered as an active JW, although I must confess I have forgotten quite a few things in rather short time (after all, I do not any longer have the help from the Holy Spirit...).

Oh - Sorry, I think I misunderstood the question or the premise. You mean they could just as well have been cast down to some other planet (without life) in order to punish the demons? OK - then you have a good point. Then I guess perhaps it was because the biblical writers didn't know of any other planets.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Mum got the right answer. This stuff was started as oral tradition by people barely out of the hunter-gatherer stage of civilization, they had no idea there were other planets. Their picture of the universe was like this:

HEAVEN-->EARTH-->HELL

it was two-dimensional column. They didn't even know the earth was round.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit