COLLEGE IS EVIL!!!!!

by why??? 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mum
    Mum

w_w: I know just what you mean about the few JW's who were college grads. I noticed at my humble hillbilly Kingdom Hall that those who had been to college were given special treatment. I decided to go back to college myself after the failed 1975 prophecy. I (an elder's wife at the time) even told one of the young girls at the hall that I noticed college was frowned upon but special treatment was given to those who disobeyed or rebelled and went to college anyway. She agreed. I hope she went to college, too.

I ended up leaving my husband and the JW's. It was not easy, but I did finally get my degree. It is not just for the sake of material success, but the college experience and the broadening of horizons that make me so glad I did it.

Regards,

SandraC

• monophonic
    monophonic

great point jim-tx, it's never too late for college or to change careers....and i know many people who went to college and just ended up in a line of work that they hated w/o thinking outside the box to change their objective.

personally, i'm in a position and business where people automatically assume i have a masters degree, and i just don't actively volunteer that i don't...for my career it wouldn't up my game b/c it's creative and there's a point where it doesn't matter...but i wouldn't mind getting a degree in philosophy or religious theology studies in the next decade.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their policy on university education doesn't change over time that is exactly what I was hearing in 1980 that' s 27 years ago. Fortunately I completely ignored their advice and went to university. My distinct impression at the time was that they didn't want higfhly educated dubs because they could threaten their position with a more complete understanding of how the world works. I could see it was a manipulative approach.

It's strange that they still go on with the same tune long after they admitted the end may well not be so near and for those that are capable, a degree would do nicely to make it through life. Why do they want so much to condemn capable young dubs to a poor life quality?

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

When I graduated high school, college was heavily frowned upon and so I took one class a semester and I was weighed down with guilt. My cong had quite a few kids graduate at the same time and several of them went into pioneering directly.

Two years ago, I finally got my Associates degree and last month I completed my BS. I am going into a Masters program in the fall. My only regret is that it took soooo long to get my degrees because I was trying to be a "good" dub. I am glad I finally completed the majority of my education though and the work prospects are much better--despite Borg propaganda to the contrary.

Freegirl

• JeffT
    JeffT

I became a dub toward the end of my (first) time in college. I passed up a Master's degree because it was 1973 and the end was so soon. In 1982 I went back to school to pick up something more marketable, my BA is in English. I took some heat for my decision, but ignored it. I've been doing fairly well since then. In the spring of 1988 an anti-education rant at a circuit assembly pushed my wife and I over the edge. Our oldest were about to be teenagers and we were not about to watch them become janitors. We began researching the organization and the rest is history.

The WTBS's stupid short-term policy on this is going to kill them eventually. You can willfully marginalize all your members and be a successful organization.

• why???
    why???

You know what so stupidly ironic is that the society will NEED educated people to fill their spots when they die. They'll need doctors for the blood issue and lawyers for the inevitable suing,some historians possibly or financial advisor's, public relations professionals- they are a business after all. The'ye restrictive reasoning and blatant disregard for individual knowledge will become their worst enemy- we'll just have to sit back and be patient! lol(evil laugh) Lol( laugh at my laugh) Later guys ;-)

• flipper
    flipper

Because the jdubs considered college to be evil, it forced me into making the really big money cleaning toilets, doing late night " strip jobs " no not my clothes but stripping floors, an incessant need to sleep at my customers offices to survive when working all night , and trying to down 200 ounces of caffeine in the mornings to drive and make it home alive , just to take another nap. Then repeat the same damn process the next night. Am I bitter? Naw!! I'm a upbeat guy! Peace out, Mr. Flipper Now I consider myself a janitorial shrink! Self educated!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is my answer to those posts that people ought to just pick up and go to college: Yes you should if circumstances at all permit. However, you have likely been sucked dry of cash by the Watchtower Society and might have trouble paying for it now. This is one factor that you should look at: financial aid packages do exist but to the person that has spent all their lives as Witlesses, they can be daunting to fully take advantage of.

Another factor is that I will continue to blame the Tower for the years that are lost. People that refuse to go to college at 18 because of some idiot in Brooklyn will be behind if they get out of the Tower at 30. They have lost those 12 years. That is 12 years that they could have spent in a profession that gives a real living, possibly costing the person more than $100,000 during that time on net after college is paid for. True, it's better to go to college at age 30 after leaving the Tower than to not go at all, but you have still lost those years of income and mental stimulation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit