How do we help JWs who want to leave?

by TwentyYearsOut 11 Replies latest jw friends

• TwentyYearsOut
    TwentyYearsOut

What if we held up signs outside of Kingdom Halls with "Go to JEHOVAHS-WITNESS.COM for more info" on them...or maybe a billboard. Something they can't ignore.

I'm fairly new at JWD, so stop me if you've heard this before.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I've learned lately that those in want & need to stay in. They are deaf when it comes to seeing the man behind Oz for what he is.

Those who want to leave, eventually do. They seek & find.

All we can do is help those who have made the step out. You can subtly ask those who are still in a few thought provoking questions. But, they are likely to stay in, and learn to push aside what is bothering them.

Skeeter

• Mulan
    Mulan

If you do that, they will think you are a nutcase.................apostate, or worse. It could also be illegal.

I think we have to wait for JW's to be ready to leave. When they are, they will find us. All of us did. The internet is right here, and this discussion forum is on all the search engines.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I'm fairly new at JWD, so stop me if you've heard this before.

That's alright, you'll catch on!

JWs have been 'conditioned' to reject material that comes to them in certain forms. Anything that challenges the Watchtower is bad be it books, people, websites, ect. Anything that comes to them in this form at first will be to much for them to handle.

Much of helping a JW comes from people who the person does not know. Since a JW treats all strangers as potential converts, they are much more open in this setting. I know of many JWs who had a seed of doubt planted in them by a stranger.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Well by your mere post they have made their first step in the right direction "they want to leave". Most likely that means that they have already been researching and looking around. All we need to do is have an open door, closed mouth (YES! so as to not frighten them off to quickly) and kind words of comfort.

• lies all lies
    lies all lies

Live your life freely and out in the open. Let them see with their own eyes that despite what they've been brainwashed to believe, ex-JWs can and do live Happy, fulfilling joyful lives.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

You need to teach them to think without the shields coming up. A billboard is going to inspire heads in the sand and bullwarks against apostasy.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

While I don't know why a sign or billboard off the KH property could be ILLEGAL, I do agree that for the vast majority, it will not 'make them look'. It might give those who were curious a place to look, but they would find it anyway online. It is the JWs you meet in everyday life, whether family or strangers, that you can influence in subtle ways. The overt stuff just scares them off.

The best witness you can give as an ex JW of ANY religous or personal persuasion is to live your best life, be happy, do good, and make your life what YOU want it to be. Don't focus on your 'ex'ness, focus on your NOWness. If that makes sense. Want to piss off the elders and the GB? Be a happy human being who likes other human beings and treats them well. That'll show 'em! You are breaking every stereotype they wish to promulgate about us 'exes'.

Shelly

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I rarely have occasion to go to a laundromat unless my washer is broken but used to always toss any Watchtowers and Awakes I found there in the garbage.

Now if I would find one in a doctor's office or laundromat, instead of tossing them in the garbage, I would write on them websites anyone picking them up could go to like this website or www.freeminds.org, www.silentlambs.org, www.watchtowerinformationservice.org, www.jwinfo.8m.com, www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com.

I need to list them on some post-it note pads and keep in my purse so I can just pull off a few notes and stick them inside the first page.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

They will leave when they are ready. I agree with the poster that said that they only hear what they want to.

Example, I sent the you-tube link regarding Higher Education, to my father, a hard-core dub, and his response was.....

"That is obviously a doctored apostate link. Stop sending that crap to me".

Sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit