purple triangles vs. videos on the faithful in malawi

by monophonic 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• monophonic
    monophonic

just a thought i had earlier and mentioned in a comment on a thread.

but i love how the yearbooks and videos jump all over how jws suffered in the name of god and these examples of their faith through ww2, but the malawi massacre is glossed over.

if they were right for their decision they made for the brothers in malawi, don't you think they'd be making messes in their pants at the excitement of showing the world how faithful they were amidst the tyranny?

but that would bring up too many questions.

and wouldn't they make a video or go on and on about how great it is that the brothers in mexico can gather and pray and use their bibles and sing at meetings now?

but, then they'd have to answer the question when it comes up, why was it a self imposed ban in order to profit monetarily?

maybe the director of 'knocking' could put a treatment together so it'll get appropriate ..spin..

btw, does anyone know the numbers in malawi? are they a growth country in the borg?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I hope this thread gets lots of response as it is the thing I am most angry about.

BTW- very good points.

• kwr
    kwr

What happened in Malawi?

• justhuman
    justhuman

The only reason that the GB used the Malawi JW's it was to show that 'true' christians are persecuted. They used those African brothers in a very anythical way. They needed martyrs. And the malawi JW's were offered for this occasion.

But the old guys in Brooklyn they were sitting at their luxury appartments and they just watched them been slaughtered, raped, and do NOTHING. Did anyone of the GB visited the brothers there in Malawi? Did they visit the authorities there to help the brothers...the answer is a big NO.

This cult indeed makes me SICK

• monophonic
    monophonic

here's some info on the situation:

http://www.jwfiles.com/malawi.htm

in crisis on conscience by raymond franz, he details everything and includes letters that went back and forth b/t the mexican brothers and the bethel in malawi, the mexican jws were ready to stop bribing officials to get their military service card b/c they felt it was worse than what the jws in malawi were getting massacred for...which was true, and the governing body was split on the decision on what the jws in malawi could and couldn't do and by the time the killings started, making a change in policy would've made the wtbts look bad, a governing body member was even quoted saying, 'if we're wrong, at least they are dying for righteousness sake' (double check that, it's from what i remember).

so they had a really brazen attitude and turned a blind eye.

if you were in the jws in the 70's, they had us all writing letters to the king of malawi to stop the killings.....i remember staying up night after night writing letters over and over again when i was five or six years old.

i faded four years before reading or finding out about this (i've been out 8 years) and it was really upsetting....a prayer at every assembly included, 'help our brothers in malawi', it was very high profile at the time, then feels like it was swept under the rug real quickly....against the usualy wtbts track record to go over and over it as how 'we triumphed against them' kind of thing.

rwanda got the publicity b/c it wasn't a wtbts flip decision that hurt the people there.

but the chapters in crisis of conscience bring it all out since franz had the letters and correspondence in his possession.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The main goal of the leadership was to gain martyrs for the cause.

Look back over the publications made ever since WWII and you will see a one to two dozen articles or references per year talking about the 'persecution of the brotherhood', especially during WWII. It is used to rally the faithful and I believe that is why in a number of cases the JW leadership has instigated it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The WT description of events at the time. There were a lot of articles around this time ;-

w73 5/1 pp. 264-266 Malawi’s Citizens Face a Vital Decision ***

"CHRISTIANS throughout the entire world have been deeply stirred by the violent persecution that has recently raged against Jehovah’s Christian witnesses in the southeast African nation of Malawi.

Every citizen of this country, which is about the size of New York state, is affected. For at least one person out of every 194 of the population of 4,530,000 is among those persecuted.

The question therefore confronting each citizen is, Will I stand for what is right and against oppression? Will I be one of those Christ spoke of, saying: "Whoever gives one of these little ones [a Christian disciple] only a cup of cold water to drink because he is a disciple, I tell you truly, he will by no means lose his reward"?—Matt. 10:42.

Jehovah’s witnesses are well known as peace-loving people, obedient to the laws of the nation in which they live. Nevertheless, in Malawi they have been beaten, tortured and some of them killed. Thousands were driven out of the country in peril of their lives, leaving all their possessions behind. More than 20,000 fled the country, 19,000 of them to Zambia on Malawi’s western border, where they were placed in camps as unwanted visitors. Because of the hardships, 350 persons, many of them children, died.

But this was not enough to satisfy their persecutors. Under false representations that they were being moved to healthier camps in Zambia, the refugees were loaded into buses and trucks and taken back into Malawi, where they were met by Malawian armed forces and dispersed to their villages. Twenty-one of the presiding overseers of congregations were imprisoned immediately after being sent back to Malawi; three more Witnesses were later jailed in the Rumphi district.

Some had nails driven through their hands; others were jabbed with sewing needles. One group of four Witnesses were taken to twelve different branch offices of the Malawi Congress Party, being forced to walk a distance of forty miles and not being given any food for four days.

Now many of them have been forced to flee again, the majority southward to Mozambique, where more than 34,000 are now living in twelve refugee camps.

Why this hatred and violent treatment of Christians in a country whose Life President, Dr. H. Kamuzu Banda, is a religious man, an elder of the Presbyterian Church?

The pretext used for the persecution is the fact that the Witnesses refuse to buy political party cards. But, as Guy Wright points out in the San Francisco Examiner, in its issue of October 17, 1972:

"A religious war is being fought between the Jehovah’s Witnesses and a small African country called Malawi.

"It’s a very one-sided war, pitting force against faith. . . . You might regard them [the Witnesses] as model citizens. They pay taxes diligently, tend the sick, battle illiteracy."

That the basic reason behind the persecution is religious, note the report of Life President Banda’s speech at the 1972 Malawi Congress Party Annual Convention, held September 10-16, 1972—at what place? The Catholic Secondary School at Zomba. Calling Jehovah’s witnesses the "Devil’s Witnesses," Banda "questioned why they do not go to the Church and ask for help from God when in trouble."—Malawi News, September 19, 1972.

Why do Jehovah’s witnesses refuse to buy the party cards? It is not because of any political leanings on their part, for they are absolutely neutral toward all political movements. With them it is solely a matter of conscience and God’s law. Because of their exclusive devotion to Jehovah God and his kingdom they refrain from taking sides with worldly factions, as Jesus said of his followers:"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit