A Catholic Wedding

by TooBad TooSad 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

I went to a Catholic wedding of a real good friend this afternoon and it was a real nice experience. My wife, who still

strictly adheres to Watchtower doctrine was going to go but she made her self sick worrying about what she was going to

do when the congregation said prayers or went up for the mass or played the pagan music. I thought to myself how pathetic

her thinking is. I felt a real closness to God as I sat there in the church. The beautiful music, the stained glass windows,

the wide open church with the high ceiling made me feel like I have never felt before. I really felt like I could worship God here.

What a difference than sitting at the Kingdom Hall with no windows, music about the end being near, and the first 20

minutes of the public talk which expounds how how terrible the world conditions are, how many rapes, murders, wars,

there are. But fear not, because the last 20 minutes of the talk will give the answer of God's Kingdom when He destroy's

99% of the earths inhabitants and the earth lay in a shambles. This really is TooBad and TooSad.

• jambon1
    jambon1

The Catholic church has an evil, dark history. I would feel closer to god sitting on my toilet having a shyte. I went to one catholic wedding where the priest backed down and was happy to marry a couple who had been living together. All religion is just laughable.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Too Bad- I'm glad that you went, and that you enjoyed the experience! You're right, most houses of worship feel more "holy" or positive than a K-Hall does.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I'm glad you went TBTS! I went through the same agony before going to a church wedding 15 years ago...and it ended up a great experience.

Now when I went to the cathedrals in Europe, I had a similar experience to your's. I guess if listened to enough talks in my life with words words and more words. Now a more external beautiful experience allows me to reflect and find my inner words on things rather than the WTBS's constantly drilled in my brain.

Good for you!

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi:

The Catholic Mass is beautiful. It is the way Christians have worshipped for over 2000 years. It is very different from the KH and when the Mass is done well it is a full sensory experience. If you have any questions about why Catholics worship the way they do feel free to ask me.

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• outnfree
    outnfree

I recently went to a Catholic Wedding Mass and enjoyed the experience very much.

I do remember feeling a bit like your wife, TBTS, about a decade ago, when I was still a Witness but attended another Catholic wedding ceremony. I sat near the back so that the fact that I was not kneeling-sitting-standing-singing-or-praying would not be so obvious to the other churchgoers. But even then, I found the mass beautiful.

jambon1 -- "I went to one catholic wedding where the priest backed down and was happy to marry a couple who had been living together." -- I don't understand your problem with this. To me it makes sense that the priest was happy to marry the couple who had previously been living in sin and now were asking for God to bless their union???

Anyway -- TBTS, I'm glad yours was a wonderfully spritual experience.

out

• Mum
    Mum

Once I attended the first communion of a friend's daughter in a Catholic church. I had only been out of the borg a couple of years. While I was sitting there, I kept thinking "Why would people give up something like this to become JW's?" Tradition, rituals and rites of passage are very important, and mostly forgotten in our culture.

Regards,

SandraC

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Jambon, I can't figure out why it bothers folks when people who have been living together get married. Isn't their NOT being married and living together what offends you? Who MORE should then be marrying than those who are living as spouses already?

BTW, in other times and cultures, moving in together was de facto marriage.

Shelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit