Do You Love Your Neighborhood Market?

by compound complex 13 Replies latest jw friends

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

The neighborhood market is not what it used to be anymore...but, yes....I don't go anywhere else because even though it's part of a large chain....there is a neighborhood feel to it...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, Arrowstar, that neighboorhood "feel" means so much. But things do change and the deliberately contrived retro-look and simulated ambience often seem so artificial. Well, so much for nostalgia. I guess the real reason we are there is to buy groceries, end of discussion!

Thank you very much for your input,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, I do.

There was another mix-up on expiration dates, so I returned to my market with my foul fowl, expecting nothing other than a simple replacement; however, I received an apology from the manageress as well as a nonfoul upgrade of poultry: the cheaper cut was replaced with a pricier one. I was clucking over that one.

There's a good selection of gourmet items, and, while I scare ever buy them (never, tttt), they are not overpriced. Much.

Produce is dewy-fresh and of an excellent verdant hue (excepting red cabbage, et al).

While beef is not exactly on the hoof, it is, nevertheless, prime quality and of a savor most extraordinary.

I think I'll go back ...

CoCo

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I love Trader Joe's – Whole Paycheck Foods quality and selection at Safeway prices. We were actually able to afford to switch back to butter from margarine because their butter is only $2/pound.

Across the street from our house is a delightful little place called Estudillo Produce, run by a Chinese-American family. The produce is always delicious and varied, and the prices are not much higher than the supermarkets. They also sell whole-grain breads and organic sugars, really good cold cuts, posh wines, imported condiments, snooty whole-grain crackers and upscale chocolate bars.

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit