For Any JW Who Doubts The WT/ UN Connection

by Ranchette 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

We've all seen the scathing things WT has printed about the UN over the years but in the last few yrs there has been a change in tone when they speak of The UN at times.Below I provide an example of this courtesy of Dec 8,2000Awake.

I made some quotes bold print.As you read notice the complimentary tone and the spots where UN Photos appear.Those were probably obtained as a perk with their membership.
    Ask your self,is this any way to speak of The Scarlet Colored Wild Beast? Part of Saten's Org?If you can look at the magazine.It looks like a propaganda piece.

The Problems of Children
    THE SOLUTION AT LAST

The Tragedy of Youthful Deaths

Help Your Children to Thrive
    An Ongoing Search for Solutions
    FROM its very inception, the United Nations organization has been interested in children and their problems. At the end of 1946, it established the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) as a temporary measure to care for children in areas devastated by war.

In 1953 this emergency fund was turned into a permanent organization. Although it is now officially known as the United Nations Children's Fund, it retained its original acronym, UNICEF. Thus, for over half a century, UNICEF has been providing children throughout the world with food, clothing, and medical care and has been trying to look after children's needs in general.

The needs of children were given greater prominence in 1959 when the United Nations adopted a Declaration of the Rights of the Child. (See box.) It was hoped that this document would generate interest in the problems of children and would help solve them by encouraging public support, financial and otherwise.

But "twenty years later," according to Collier's 1980 Year Book, "these 'rights'—especially those relating to nutrition, health, and material well-being—were still largely unrealized by many of the world's 1.5 billion children." So in recognition of the continuing need to solve the problems of children and in accord with its declared goals, the United Nations designated 1979 the International Year of the Child. Government, civic, religious, and charitable groups all over the world were quick to respond to the search for solutions.
    UN PHOTO 148038
    Jean Pierre Laffont

UN photo

Was It All Just a "Cruel Joke"?
    Sad to say, according to a UNICEF report, children in developing nations did not fare well during the International Year of the Child. At year's end, some 200 million of them were still malnourished, and half the deaths of the 15 million who died under the age of five could be attributed to malnutrition. Of the 100 children born each minute that year in those countries, 15 would be dead before the end of their first year. Fewer than 40 percent would finish elementary school. Commenting on the UNICEF report, an editorial in the Indian Express newspaper complained that the Year of the Child turned out to be a "cruel joke."

Some individuals foresaw this failure. For example, at the very beginning of the year, Fabrizio Dentice wrote in the magazine L'Espresso: "Something more than the Year of the Child is needed to remedy the situation." The magazine commented: "Today's life-style makes us what we are, and this is what needs changing."

In the ongoing search for solutions to the problems of children, a world summit was held at UN headquarters in September 1990. It was one of the largest meetings of world leaders in history. Over 70 government leaders were present. The gathering was a follow-up to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which was adopted on November 20, 1989, and went into force on September 2, 1990. By the end of that month, the agreement had already been ratified by 39 nations.
    "It is sad that in our time we still have to be reminded that children have rights"
    "The Convention," UNICEF recently noted, "has rapidly become the most widely accepted human rights treaty ever, creating a global momentum for children." Indeed, as of November 1999, the Convention had been adopted by 191 nations. UNICEF boasted: "More progress was made in realizing and protecting children's rights in the decade following adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child than in any other comparable period in human history."

Despite this progress, German President Johannes Rau was moved to comment: "It is sad that in our time we still have to be reminded that children have rights." Or to be reminded that they still have serious problems! Admitting in November 1999 that "much remains to be done," UNICEF explained: "Globally, an estimated 12 million children under the age of five die every year, mostly of easily preventable causes. Some 130 million children in developing countries are not in primary school . . . About 160 million children are severely or moderately malnourished. . . . Many unwanted children languish in orphanages and other institutions, denied education and adequate health care. These children are often physically abused. An estimated 250 million children are engaged in some form of labour." Mention was also made of the 600 million children living in absolute poverty and the 13 million who will have lost at least one parent to AIDS by the end of 2000.

Satisfactory solutions to these problems seem to elude political leaders. Yet, children's problems are not limited to developing lands. In Western nations many children suffer deprivation of another sort.

Appeared in Awake! December 8, 2000

Home | Beliefs | Future | Medical | Topics | Contact Us | Publications | Languages | Search | Index

Copyright © 2001 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. All rights reserved.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Ranchette,
    Thanks for this post; It deserves more attention than it's been getting. When read with an understanding of what was going on behind the scenes, if offers an illuminating glimpse of the Society's duplicity. Of course, theer are other examples in other Awake! magazines (I'm convinced that Brooklyn made the conscious decision to use Awake! as its vehicle for pro-UN statements so that it could mail these copies to the UN as proof of compliance with NGO rules, reserving its diatribes for the books and the WT magazine).
    It's also rather chilling to note how the Awake! writers are so adept at ``saying all the right thngs'' in their paean to compassion, loving concern for childrens' rights, etc., all in the service of an organization that in reality loves only its own, and gievs short shrift toward the exercise of ``human rights'' within its borders.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Gee!

Isn't it a shame that as JayDubs we were never allowed to contribute to, or solicit funds for, UNICEF "over half a century" (That wonderful UN entity doing so much good for the children of the world!) because it was part of the wild beast????!!!!!

Duplicitous, indeed, Room215!!!

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• Kent
    Kent

Let's see what the Watchtower goons are saying. I just posted a mail to the following addresses:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

I then attached the telefax from the UN, and asked these questions:

Can you please explain why the Watchtower Society after 10 years suddenly resigned from the UN NGO system?
    Why didn't you want to me members any more?
    Aftar all, according to the "Mission To Africa" brochure, the UN allowed you to use their planes, and you need to be members to use the UN library. Why the sudden change?

Please see the attached photocopy of a fax we received from the UN.

Regards

kent Steinhaug

Naturally, I don't expect any answers, but you never know, he, he. It's fantastic what you do get answers to, like this:

YES,
    SAME PRICE AS LARGE BIBLE. I DO ALL THE WORK TO KS TEXT BOOK PERSONALLY (I AM AN ELDER, TOO)
    THANKS, JOEL
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 4:47 AM
    Subject: Pay Attention Book

Is it possible to get a specially leather-bound copy of the new "Pay Attention" book?

Kent

I also asked the lady who wanted to bring the JWs to a cruise:

um, we aren't paying yet. We won't be starting to pay till 2004. Then it will be in payments. You will have to pay the payments to go.

armegeddon. Well, we can still plan things becaue as the Bible says no one knows when it will be here. So just like we dont' go out and buy expensive cars and houses becaue of thinking of armegeddon will be here and I won't have to pay it off. We still go about our lives and make plans until armegeddon gets here. As long as we are not goign against Jehovah then we'll be ok. If armegeddon comes by then, then it comes if not, we get to go on a cruise.

Heather
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:56 PM
    Subject: What about Armageddon

I was thinking about this cruice - but I can't pay in advance. Won't Armageddon make trouble with these plans?

Kent

She also followed me up with this comment:

PS remember the society is still making plans, ie building halls, ect.

LOL. It's rather fun to sen emails to JWs around the world. In fact, many more should do so. Ask questions, send copies of annoying material, but be ready for angry answers, angry complaints to your ISP about "spamming" and the like.

But, you can just do it. It's allowed to send emails to people. Just don't send to 500 at once, then it's spamming. LOL

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Room 215
    I agree there are more examples like this and I hope we find and expose them all.
    I also agree that the Awake was their UN propaganda tool.

When I ran into articles like this in the past in their literature it was very confusing to me.I would ask my husband what In the world they were up to?
    Now it makes perfect sense!
    Ranchette

• dedalus
    dedalus

[quote]If armegeddon comes by then, then it comes if not, we get to go on a cruise.[quote]

ROTFLMAO!

Is it just me, or is this somehow hilarious?

Dedalus

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

dedalus,

No it's not just you,I found it funny too.

It's funny to think that they could be alittle dissapointed if Armegedon comes before they get to take their cruise.

Ranchette

• LDH
    LDH

Ranchette,

Like you, over the past few years I had been wondering why all the 'complimentary' phrases about the UN in our literature when my generation grew up with an intense hatred for the Scarlet colored Wild Beast!

Now, it does make sense. You're right.

Lisa

• zev
    zev

kent...
    did i see right?
    the wtbts HAS an actual email address here in the states?

i dont know why, but i thought that they had no wat to contact the "org" here in the states via email.

guess i was wrong?

-Zev
    -August 8th, 2001 - The day the lambs ROARED

• sf
    sf

"LOL. It's rather fun to sen emails to JWs around the world. In fact, many more should do so. Ask questions, send copies of annoying material, but be ready for angry answers, angry complaints to your ISP about "spamming" and the like.

But, you can just do it. It's allowed to send emails to people. Just don't send to 500 at once, then it's spamming. LOL"

< http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=ICQ+email+Jehovah%27s+Witnesses&hc=0&hs=0

sKally, happy trails!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit