Where did Jehovahs Witnesses originate?

by Miss Jones 16 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

I am glad we have sf and RR on the same page. sf believes that Russell was a Mason, and there is a tie in with the Masons, the JWs, the Mormans, and the illuminati. RR, this seems outlandish to me. What are your thoughts. When I use the term "tie in" I mean that sf believes that their is a cooridinated effort going on between these organizations.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

<"Third, Russell didn't rework much of anything.">

Now that is the truest thing you ever said MA. Russell STOLE everything fair and square!!

Thank you. <bows low>

Dungbeetle...so much dung, so little time...

• larc
    larc

MA,

I stand corrected. Good work.

By the way, I remember reading on one your posts, I think it was in response to You Know, that you live near me. Send me an e mail some time if you would like to get together. I will be out of town tomorrow through Sunday visiting with some fellow apostates, and will read my e mail when I get back.

• RR
    RR

Ah, Larc, going to the Jesus Witness convention in Pa this weekend, eh. I went a few years ago, what a WHINEFEST! Never again!

• Flip
    Flip

Hi Miss Jones

As others have mentioned, Adventism appears to have gathered strength during the late 1830’s.

Take note of this article, which appears in the following issue of Sky & Telescope describing a significant celestial event that occurred in 1833.

http://www.skypub.com/sights/meteors/leonids/leonids_1833.html

I find the article interesting because it suggests a possible motivation for the business of apocalyptic behavior predicting the end of the world in 1840.

Historically, Jehovah’s Witnesses appear to be a ‘Johnny-come-lately’ in this regard, just in time to cash in on the hype.

Flip

• larc
    larc

RR,

Years ago, I was doing family research in PA, and dropped in the convention. I stayed about an hour. Didn't care for it. This weekend, I am traveling from Dayton, Ohio to Southwestern Indiana to meet with some other apostates. I will tell you about our meeting when I get back next Monday.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Dear Ms Jones,

An excellent book that will help you in researching the roots of the Jehovah's Witness religion is WILLIAM MILLER AND THE ADVENT CRISIS by Everett N. Dick, published by Andrews University Press, ISBN # 1-883925-02-9.

Relying on contemporary and modern sources, Everett Dick was the first scholar to investigate in depth the Millerite Movement of the 1840s. Interestingly Miller did not intend to start a new religion, in fact he remained a Baptist until he died in 1849. However, the movement that grew up around his teachings later gave birth to the Seventh-day Adventists and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit