Any runners/joggers....half marathon advice please

by fifi40 9 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

My brother in law is enlisiting the help and support of family members in undertaking a half marathon, December 6th in aid of Leukemia research from which his brother died twenty years ago.......

So in a moment of madness I agreed to do it and also roped in my husband and 2 friends..........now I think I am the least fit of us 4.......I used to run regularly but havent done for a couple of years............I knackered my knee badly in 1999 (basically ripped it apart falling off a horse which then bolted up the road with my foot still in the stirrup)........so now although I can run slowly I get pain in my knee's......

So I have between now and first week in December to get fit and ready for a half marathon........the furthest I have run before is probably 6 miles.........

So am I biting off more than I can chew?

Any recommended fitness programmes?

Any special diet tips?

Thanks in advance

• free2think
    free2think

I don't really have any tips, but i just wanted to say thats really cool and Good Luck.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I used to run 10 to 35 miles a week until the pounding wore out my lower disc in my back. When I stopped running I gained 30 lbs. The most I have ever run is 7 miles.

Get some good shoes with cushioned inserts. You want something that is going to absorb the pounding.

I dont think your supposed to increase your training distance by more than 10% at a time or you will be debilitated by shin splints and blisters. I would start out at a 2 mile run and increase it 10% every 2 weeks. Do the math and figure if that will fit in your time frame. A marathon is 26 miles half is 13.

I would google how to train for a marathon or buy a runners magazine. I wore knee supports often. If you are overweight and have a bad knee you might have discomfort, you can take it from there.

If you got bad knees before you start, it might not happen.

But good luck

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I injured my knee playing football with the dubs - lol - a few years ago. I was advised to do isolation exercises for my knee once it had healed. Front and back, quadrecep and hamstring exercises. I was back to running very quickly.

Aim to walk and run - 2mins running 2mins walking to build endurance during your training. If your knee starts to hurt during the running segments then walk more. You'll gradually build stamina.

good luck. I've often though about doing a half marathon but never signed up. Have done 10k in 54 minutes. My moment of glory

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

This website promotes what is supposedly an injury free way to run. I don't know if it is for you, but check it out.

Pose Method

Dave

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I used to run track and now only run indoors, the best thing you can do is get yourself ready by conditioning yourself. Try running everyday (it will get easier with time). Run outside not on an indoor treadmill- there is a big difference with the way your feet react to running outdoors than to an indoor treadmill. With your knee injury you'll want to be careful maybe even buy a good knee brace (most drug stores should carry a variety to choose from) and use Ibuprophen to keep swelling down. Don't push yourself too hard at first until you get used to it or else you might injure yourself badly and not even be able to participate.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Fifi,

How fit are you? Are you overweight? What exercise do you get now?

Start slowly, but start right off. It'll take 4 to 6 weeks to get your conditioning back.

The best way to speed up the process without injury is to take a couple of running sessions a week, and vary the pace. run at your normal pace, then kick it up for a hundred yards, drop back down to a comfortable pace to let your heart recover, then repeat that. Go through that cycle half a dozen times or more. You'll be shocked at how much more quickly you will progress doing that.

This and other ideas are covered in lots of websites. Runners World is a great magazine.

Also, I run on trails and not hard surfaces, simply because I want to avoid injury. It seems to work well for me.

Think of running on some trails as a daily gift to yourself, a chance to clear your head, meditate, take care of yourself. It helps to keep you motivated.

Good Luck!!

S4

• fifi40
    fifi40

Thanks all for your advice...............I am moderately fit, probably........although I havent been running, I walk almost everyday (2-4miles) with my dog at least once.

Over the last few weeks I have stepped this up with running/walking.........with this event in mind........but like I say.........my knee is sore whilst I am running.......although it goes off after a while......and sometimes my legs just feel like lead.

I love cross country running......the countryside around where I live is gorgeous........but it has been like having a mud bath everytime I go out recently because of all the rain we have had.........at last the sun is back though............

Thanks again

• ninja
    ninja

I did the marathon in 3 hours 55 mins.....the advice I would give is to start the race sllloowwwww...until you get into your pace....dont follow the crowd and hare off....you will find you pass all those who pass you at the beginning.....and take lots of fluids......I took 4 tablespoons of glucose before I started too...gives a good boost.....and vaseline is a godsend....apply liberally everywhere......

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hey Ninja..................congrats.......

you responded to a post without doing a funny...........ok I kinda missed it...........surely you can come up with something

All the best buddy and thanks for the tips.

And thanks to all for the good luck wishes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit