Why Platonic Relationships Are Doomed To Heartbreak- Your View

by nvrgnbk 22 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

LOL!

Sorry, CoCo. Couldn't resist.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They are not doomed to heartbreak, not having a physically intimate relationship makes them more stable and less fragile. At least that is my impression though I think platonic relationships are rare.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, Never!

That's quite all right! We ARE allowed critical thinking and opposing viewpoints, freed as we are from thought control.
    The last few posts to my thread, in particular, pointed out why some individuals more readily do well in platonic relationships. I agree totally that not everyone can succeed where sexual passions are always at the surface, ready to erupt into the demand of consumation. Per the definition given at the start of the thread, platonic love is not gender-specific. A guy or gal has to "run" if he/she realizes it ain't gonna work.

Can you imagine Joseph attempting to be "just friends" with Pot's raging wife?

Thanks, Never!

CoCo

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

They are only doomed when one of the peeps steps outside of bounds of "platonic". People have to be honest w/ themselves and well as the other person. If you think you cannot be just friends then you need to back off. I have a lot of male friends and there have been a few that I have had to say bye to because they could not just stay friends. And there have been a few that I have had to cut ties w/ because I wanted more. I would hate it if I could not been friends w/ guys, they add a lot to my life (and perspective)

• emptywords
    emptywords

There not doomed, I'll paste what I put on the other thread about platonic relationships.

Two of my best friends are men and very loyal, they love me because of me and I am like a sister to them, I can rely on them for emotional support and they always help out around the home when I need something done.

I can talk to them both on just about everything, and feel more comfortable with them than I do with my women friends, they are unjudgmental and have my best interests at heart, one I was in love with and had a sexual relationship for years, that ended but we have remained good mates without any physical relationship and we have to much repect for each other to even think about it. The other guy is a talented poet, artist and a mentor to me, educated and interesting, talk to him for hours on anything, I know I can always get nothing but 100% honesty from him, there has never been an attraction between us, we simply love each others company and find each other intersesting. Neither are gay.

Cheers

• eclipse
    eclipse

Nvr, friendships are only doomed to heartbreak if you keep falling in love with your friend just buggin'

I think it is totally possible to have friendships with the opposite sex.

I have a few male friends, we all respect one another,

and seeing them in any light besides platonic is just weird, and they feel the same about me.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I feel the same.

They are possible.

I have some platonic relationships.

They're quite pleasant.

I agree totally that not everyone can succeed where sexual passions are always at the surface, ready to erupt into the demand of consumation.

Can you imagine Joseph attempting to be "just friends" with Pot's raging wife?

Too damn funny, Coco!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Imo someone always gets hurt in the long run.

Perhaps it's human nature, we are attracted to the opposit sex, that attraction is what makes us notice someone in the first place, before we even talk and find out what we may have in common. We don't decide to become friends with the ugly or creepy person, we are programed to respond to beauty.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    We don't decide to become friends with the ugly or creepy person, we are programed to respond to beauty.

How in the world did I ever make any friends then?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Most friendships are platonic and when sex enters the picture, it ruins the relationship. You can't have sex with everyone you like, so you have to keep it platonic. Sex is for the special one, or ones depending on how you like to run your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit