Hitchhiking anyone?

by animal 25 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I don't think it's a crazy fear for women. If I was a woman I wouldn't do it.

• animal
    animal

I too got picked up, on the same trip, by the same guy... a salesman. It was in Oklahoma and Arizona, I think.

Sorry to hear the bad things that happened, hope you are over them ok.

I will have to add to this list as time passes.

Animal

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

That's how I met my husband to be!...

My girlfriend and I were walking from her house to mine (about 2 miles) and she sticks her thumb out being funny. Well this good looking guy in a convertable stops and says get in. I wouldn't get in but she said she knew him so I got in the back seat.He had the top down so I felt like I could jump out anytime...(stupid) She sat up front with him.

I was only about 13 or 14 but was tall for my age 5' '7.

He dropped us off so he knew where I lived. Later he came by for my phone number and we were a steady thing after that.

My one time trying it alone was when I was walking to the store and thought I would be funny and gutsy (something to brag about to the other kids) so I stuck my thumb out. Well this good looking guy in a sailor suit stops and tells me to get it. I thought "Wow..will I have a story for the girls"..

Well once I was in his car he stopped at the stop sign a block from the store and said...You are really lucky you know? I could be a rapist or murderer and you would be dead. Don't you ever do this again...(I was ready to pee my pants by then). He read me the riot act and told me to get out of the car. I shook all the way to the store and (ran) back. NEVER hitchhicked again.

That guy may have saved my life. I was young and nieve and could have got picked up by the wrong guy!!!!

Snoozy..

edited to add..this was in the 50's...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Purps, I wonder if we ever crossed by in St. Louis as I went through there also.

I was there in '76 I think.....wow, such a long time ago.

Although I had a bad experiance, I enjoyed feeling free and the adventure of getting out. My life was so strict and crazy, so prim and proper.

I loved meeting new people. I stop now to help people that are stranded. I do not pick up hitchhikers. I am afraid .

One time I was on the highway and it was raining where you could hardly see. There was a jeep broke down on the side of the road.....a little ways up there was a guy walking .........soaked. I thought he would be harmless and stopped to ask him for a ride. He was almost as reluctant to get in as I had been to stop. I did not think anyone would stage something bad in that kind of rain.

I gave him a ride to the college he was going to. He was very cute. At that time, the Heart song was out........where she picked someone up in the pouring rain!!!! Anyway, it is just a song.

purps

• choosing life
    choosing life

Purps,

It was a little earlier for me, 1974/75. Talking about the rain, I remember spending a night sleeping in a laundromat because it was raining so hard outside. We carried sleeping bags and slept outside and in parks usually. That night we dried our clothes and sleeping bags while we slept.

I find it a shame that I am afraid to give people a ride now. I've watched too many real life murder stories on tv.

• animal
    animal

I once dried my soaked clothes in a laundramat, in my boxers... wet boxers. Rain sucks when traveling in the open like that.

If one of you women hitchhiked with a dude in a leather jacket from souther california in early 1976, and went with him to her hometown of Phoenix..... thanks for the memorable night in the motel outside of town. She even paid for the room!!

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit