Daddy, What's a.....

by FadingAway 11 Replies latest jw friends

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

My wife works weekends 3rd shift , so usually I'm taking care of my 2 sons while my wife sleeps. Today I put my 2 year old down for his nap. This gave me the opportuniuty to go out to the landfill to get rid of the old bushes and brush my wife pulled up from the backyard. Also we accumulated a nice collection of cardboard which had to go. So I get my 4 year old ready and head outside to load up the suv.

I start breaking down the boxes in the garage, while my son starts pretending to be a battlemech in the front yard. For those that don't know what battlemech's are, they are huge robots that weigh around 30 to 60 tons and stand 4 to 6 stories high. My son went crazy over them when he was 3 by watching me play the Mechassualt video game on my XBOX. Ever since then, he likes to pretend to bet a huge battlemech, moves, sounds and all. It gets weird stares from people time to time, but that's the fun of being a child. I get done with the cardboard and call him to come with me to the backyard so I can bag the bushes and brush.

I finally get done bagging the stuff in the backyard and hauls all 4 bags to the front to load in the suv. While I'm putting the bags in, my son start going to his question phase, mainly again about battlemechs.

"Daddy, what's this battlemech called?" He describes it by taking his right hand and makes it into a fist but lets the thumb and pinky stick straight out. He then takes that hand, places it on his ear so the pinky points straight and thumb points up. That is supposed to represent a huge shoulder mounted cannon.

"That's called Thor, buddy," I tell him. "Oh," he says.

"Daddy, what's this battlemech called?" He describes this one by taking his hands and cover both his ears so his elbows now point straight out. This represents a missle battery that is on either side of the pilots cockpit.

"That's a Mad Cat," I answer. "Oh," he says.

Now, while he is asking me these questions, I'm not really paying much attention. This is only the 1,457,789,564th time he's asked me this. However....

"Daddy, what's an erection?"

"Uh, buddy... how about I tell you about that when we get in the suv.... uh OK?"

"Ok, daddy."

So my mind is thinking how am I going to explain this to a 4 year old. How do I bring this down to a childs level? But I'm wondering, where did he hear this? At daycare? I don't think he's heard it at home either...

"Daddy, you know when you go to your office, you get an erection."

What!!!! I work in telecommunications managing connections between central offices and provide bandwidth utilization reports for our DSL network. It a nice job, but it doesn't get me that excited...

But then my brain kicks in..."Buddy, are you talking about when mommy takes you to Chuck E Cheese and you tell her to go this way and that way in the parking lot... are you talking about.... directions?"

"Yes, when you go this way and that way... what is a direction?"

Big sigh of relief!!!! So I give him the gist of what directions are. His response? "Oh."

"Daddy?" This time I stop loading again, to look at him and be ready for his next question so I don't get shocked or surprised.

"Yes, buddy?"

""Daddy, um, what's this battlemech called?" And he describes it....

• journey-on
    journey-on

That is so-o-o cute. 4-year olds are absolutely adorable. They've reached the age where you can totally understand their communication, but they still think concretely and come up with the funniest things.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy that little guy while he's at this stage.

• calico
    calico

CuteAren't kids fun?

• changeling
    changeling

He sounds so cute! I miss those days.My little boy is going off to college in the fall, he doesn't ask silly questions anymore. Just, Mom can I have some money?

Enjoy them while you can,

changeling

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

That is funny!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Absolutely precious post and you are a great dad

r.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

awwww I sure miss my kids at that age. When my oldest daughter was his age, she wanted to know where boys put their penis when they get dressed? She said she felt sorry for them because that penis must get in their way, and get stuck on their legs. Oh the days!!!!

Leslie

• exwitless
    exwitless

OK, here's our story along those lines:

A few years ago, we got a new cat. We already had 2 cats who ruled the roost for a long time before the third one came along. Well, one of the older cats decided to protest by peeing on our furniture when we weren't looking. One day I came home from work and there was a huge peed up spot on my side of the bed, compliments of the angry cat. So LDB had to try to clean up the pee with his upholstery cleaning stuff and he put fans on it to dry.

So, about three weeks later, LDB had to take his 74-year-old mother to an appointment, and he had our son with him, who was 3 or 4 years old at the time. So as the three of them are driving and there was a lull in the conversation, our son blurts out "Grandma, there was a wet spot on mama's bed!"

LDB was sweating bullets trying to quickly remember what our son was talking about and then explain it to his mom. Little kids definitely don't know how to put a thought into proper context before they say something!

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

Hey everyone, thanks for your posts and stories. If anyone else has stories, please feel free to share.

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

Lol! Very funny :P .

Havn't played that game for years, dunno if they've changed things around in recent games ;) .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit