I am being shunned

by Amyfa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

And I am not even a J.W. never have been, never want to be, and never will be. My best friend has returned to being a J.W. after not going for 7 years. We had an argument because I dont agree with the shunning of any person by the whole congregation just because they don't want to be a J.W any longer.

He told me early this year he was a J.W (when I asked him a few times before he always said he wasn't. I always had a feeling he was as he never celebrated Christmas)) I didn't know much about J.W, all I knew was they didn't have blood they went knocking on doors every week and they didn't celebrate Christmas.

So I decided to look into it to find out what they were really about, as I can't say something is wrong if I dont know anything about it. It took me just a few hours to find out there was something really wrong with the Organisation, so I started looking into it more and more and to be honest it was starting to take up a lot of my time. I got the two books Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom I have read the first one and I am half way through the second one, I found it a very interesting read not vindictive not bitter just telling it how it was.

I asked my friend if he looked into this organisation and he said he did and it's "the Truth" that was the first time I had heard it called that and it started to ring alarm bells. Dont all cults call them self "the Truth"

Anyway I really miss my friend and hope that one day he will decide to talk to me again. The last thing I said to him was I will always love him no matter what and will be there if he ever needs me. I know I can't make him talk to me but I just wanted him to know I am there if he wants to.

I feel the pain of others and I have never even been a J.W to lose one special friend is hard, to lose all your friends and families must be heartbreaking. There is no way they can say they are a loving organisation.

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

I did have it set out in paragraphs so I don't know what went wrong. Sorry I know it makes it harder to read.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Amy,

Welcome to JWD.

So sorry you are going through this. Your friend is way off on the shunning factor, but "gungho" new or reinstated members tend to over react. Also they are told to cut short any "worldly" association which, sounds as if you are in that category.

It is a sick, very controlled religious organization. If you care about this person, wait on the side lines if you can, and remain his friend...he's going to need you in the future. Don't take it personally, he is following rules.

Take care,

r.

• free2think
    free2think

Hey Amy

Welcome to jwd.

Im sorry your friend is shunning you. I hope he does wake up really soon and sees he has a great friend in you.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The JWs are a very mind conditioned lot they think they are so superior that non JWs are not worth talking with. It's strange that they shun you though you never were one of them.

To get the paragraphs you must tick the "automatic Cr/Lf" box under the reply box. It works with IE at least.

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome!

I'm sorry for the behaviour your friend is displaying. But since he is re-kindling his faith he is being over zealous. He is treating you like a "wordly person". You are now a "them" to his "us". It's wrong, but it is what JW's teach. Some soften their approach over time, some don't. You are wise to have done independant research. Keep using your brain and don't let your friend or anyone else give up your power of reason.

changeling

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I too am being shunned.

Believe it or not, it's not personal.

The JWs are taught from the platform that once a person leaves the organization they become "demonized." They are taught from the platform that the Devil/Demons take over the person and they are no longer themself. So the fear of the person is generated. The JWs fear the Demons more than the actual person. This "Fear of Demons" makes it easy for JWs to "abandon" us. They are fleeing out of fear.

Anyone who shuns is using "emotional blackmail" as a tool to attempt to "force" you into the organization. Their fear of you prevents them from seeing how cruel the act of shunning really is. The JWs teach that "shunning" is a loving act, but it is a type of abuse, really.

I have learned to live with being shunned by my two adult children. I just carry on with my own life. I feel the best way to heal is to just let myself be happy without the shunner? Carry on being my own loving Self. Love is beyond a shunner's comprehension, apparently.

*hugs*

ESTEE

• Quandry
    Quandry

Amyfa

Wow. You have firsthand experience on how it feels to be shunned even though you've never been a JW and have done nothing to deserve the treatment!!!

Yes, he is following orders not to be friends with you.

What kind of person denies he's a witness and then says he is one-and now YOU are not good enough? Well, with friends like him........

• Amyfa
    Amyfa

Thank you for your replies.

It would be very easy to say with friends like him.... and move on but I can't. I had been very ill and had a bone marrow transplant and he was there all through my treatment.

My friend has always had a problem with his emotions, and while we were talking about shunning, and that I don't think its right, emotions were also brought up and he said I get to emotional about things and I should separate them. I then said I think they (the watchtower) have helped to mess up his emotions.

The last few months he has been seeing the bad in everything, everything was doom and gloom. I asked him to try just for a week to see something good in everything. We live in a beautiful world and there are lots of good things out there.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    We live in a beautiful world and there are lots of good things out there.

You are living proof of that. Best of luck to you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit