Comment by Greg Stafford to a Question

by Gordy 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gary1914
    Gary1914
    ....particularly their rejection of most of the ridiculous dogmas taught by mainstream christianity.

which they have substituted with even more ridiculous dogmas, i.e., 1914, 1935 as the year the door closed to heaven, only 144,000 going to heaven, Jesus as mediator only for the annointed, etc., etc., etc!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I've heard and read some of Greg's stuff for years.

I would tend to think that, though Greg considers himself still a JW, his views would be considered apostate and it would be hard for me to believe that he is not disfellowshipped. Greg's views are so public, they must have DFed him by this time. His views on blood transfusions alone - as much sense as they make - are grounds to kick him out.

Does anyone know his status?

And I have to agree. Scholar or not, he's polishing the brass on a sinking ship.

S4

• minimus
    minimus

Why isn't he df'd?? To speak against the Organization like he does would qualify for a complete shunning.

If any here wrote or spoke like he does, we'd be out the door! What gives???

• TheListener
    TheListener

I have read a lot of Greg's work. As HS says, Greg appears to be on a see saw of religious belief (paraphrase).

All I know is - if my wife who is a diehard witness and is raising the kids that way were to get some frickin' relief from the organization due to the smallest of changes - I would back whatever horse needed backing.

I'll never rejoin. She'll never leave. Any relief of the tension is welcome.

Well, ok maybe she'll leave 'cause I'm such a good listener.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Seeker4..I believe AlanF mentioned Greg was still in good standing......What a long winded answer to a simple Question..That is one confused Dude.....HS hit the nail on the head with his post...OUTLAW

• proplog2
    proplog2

Stafford is just the flip side of the Pharisee coin. Reminds me of the battle between Athanasius and Arius. Whowever gets on top will surely burn the "bad men" at the stake. Stafford and the Watchtower are both wrong be cause the source of their authority - The Bible - is mostly myth.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's interesting about Greg studying in Chicago. I believe he has also been in California for a while now.

One common idea about what constitutes a "scholar" is someone who is has been published in academic journals and by academic publishing houses, since a certain standard is required. I do not know of any material Greg has written that has not been self-published. So from that point of view he is not a scholar in as much as his work has not sustained the scrutiny of peers before being submitted for publication.

Slim

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Greg Stafford is a smart and conflicted man. I have watched his struggles for years. The last I knew he was in some sort of Limbo with the org. I believe that they are wary of DF'ing him because he supports the beliefs to a certain extent and does have a lot of JW cred. OTOH, I think he is showing he is well on his way out if he isn't DF'd already. I agree with Proplog about the Bible as myth, but GS is trying to make sense of a book that is contradictory and an organization that has so many issues that I can not begin to find one word to describe it. He knows which way the wind is blowing. He, like many of us, has a huge connection to the org. through family and friends. And like many of us has issues about breaking away entirely. He is just lucky that he has enough regard in the org. that he is ALLOWED to question and still have his loved ones speak to him. He is too public, and too bright for them to piss off in a personal way, IMO. I would be interested to know what all is happening in the background. . .maybe someday we will get a RAY FRANz/COC kind of look at the politics and reasoning behind the drama surrounding Stafford.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit