Help! - Need Work Ideas for My 13 Year Old Daughter

by BlackPearl 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Your daughter has computer skills, so here is something she should know about: Amazon Mechanical Turk. It is a clever way for companies to get jobs done that computers alone cannot easily do while paying fifth world prices for labor.

In short, it is a good lesson in what NOT to do if you want to make some spending money, unless she was hoping to work all summer for a pack of gum.

You can get amazon's spin on this great opportunity, but to save some time, read this:

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/04/earning_the_big_bucks_not_with.html

I really think your daughter would benefit from knowing about this. Then she should read "Economics in One Lesson" to give her a firm foundation for the future. In fact, I'll buy her a copy of the book if she wants to read it.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

All of you have some great ideas, I and my daughter will go over them thouroughly to see which ones may be a fit for her. Thanks soo much to all of you, we really appreciate your comments.

BP

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I did a lot of babysitting around the neighborhood like some of the others mentioned already. I also did housework, yardwork and ironing for some of the bachelors in the neighborhood. Just be careful for your daughter though- there was one military guy I helped around the house that had me come over a few times and once I showed up and he was in a very tiny pair of speedo type underwear, invited me upstairs to help him pick out an outfit for a date- I got very creeped out to say the least, never returned but also never mentioned anything to my parents about it.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Ya Mis,

That's what I'm a little concerned with too, too many weirdo's and pedophiles. Yikes! No working for JW's. I liked the idea of posting at the college for typing work, she's really good at that. Got any ideas for something like that? Where to find typing work or making power point presentations for people? Or???

BP

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I don't know if this was mentioned but at her age in most stated in the US there are work laws she has to be 15 and 7 months or something like that to be working a job like that legally, unless things have changed in the last 10 years? Maybe someone else will know this?

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

I was thinking private piece meal type work. Where somebody wants to have something typed out and printed. No payroll type stuff. Does she have to be a minimum age to even privately type something for someone? I was thinking of having her do the work at my office so I could oversee her work.

BP

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Bump... just in case someone else has any ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit