Guitarists-What are your favorite songs to sing/play

by JK666 28 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Right now I'm learning:

Halleluja by Leonard Cohen

Kathleen by Josh Ritter

I Don't Believe I'll Ever Get Over You - can't remember the artist, but was on the Garden City soundtrack. Unusual tuning.

And this week I started to learn Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Beautiful song, and was named the greatest song of the 20th Century.

S4

• emptywords
    emptywords

I actually play the spoons.. and harmonica.

love the banjo and fiddle, I think some of the deep south music is tops.

love dylan

• blondie
    blondie

Hallelujah..........that grabs you doesn't it, Seeker4.

House of the Rising Sun was and is a favorite of mine.

Blondie

• sparrow
    sparrow

Don't know if anyone is interested but did well at the open mic night mentioned previously in this post. Turns out to be a competition and I n some Jack Daniels merchandise and made it through to the finals. Woo-hoo. I'd better do that thing that serious musicians call practise

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IMHO the greatest challenge to playing an instrument is the timing, be it strumming or bowing.

• Guitar: Streets of London - Sinead O'Connor version
    • Mandolin: Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo 'Ole
    • Violin: Dirty old Town - Pogues
  • sparrow
    sparrow

Littletoe!!! Love that song by Israel Kamakawiwo!!!. It was one of our wedding songs. It was in a movie I saw once a long time ago and then was in 50 first dates.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think its one of my all time favourites, too. I still struggle to get the strumming just right, but it sounds great on an eight string mandolin!

• emptywords
    emptywords

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo 'Ole

The most beautiful rendition I have ever heard, first time I heard this was in the credits of the movie Meet Jack Black....he died a few years ago. wonderful music.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Here's a link to Israel's version of Rainbow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4XhMANcCbM

It's great. The song can be done so many ways. Martina MacBride did one on tv the other night. Great stuff.

A short story:

I have a friend, very involved in the arts and always surrounds himself with the most interesting mix of artists, musicians, entrepreneurs, writers and actors. A few years ago I was invited to his birthday party, and one of the guests was a violinist. After dark, about 10 pm, from out of the gardens came this beautiful version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow by this musician. It was breathtaking, and it brought everyone to a standstill. A magic moment.

I was at a dinner party with that same friend Sunday evening at his home, and couldn't help but think of that other night.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit