Did this ever occur to you, when you were in field service...Your Thoughts?

by whyizit 7 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

I know that JWs have a mighty big persecution complex, and feel vindicated when doors are not answered, slammed in their face, or people are out and out rude to them.

But to those of you who were involved in FS, and had these things happen to you, did you ever think there might be legitimate reasons for it? Especially in light of the fact that many JWs start off the schpeel with, "What a dangerous world we live in." ???

Could it be:

People do not want to answer the door when a complete stranger is on the other side? Especially if they are home alone? Especially if there is more than one person standing on the stoop?

If I am a stay at home Mom with my kids in the other room, why would I open my door to some one who could be a nicely dressed pedophile? I would have to wonder, "How carefully do they screen these guys they have out in this FS work? What kind of background checks are run before you send them out?" Afterall, they are often knocking when men are at work. Mr. Charming JW could return later to a young lady's home, further befriend her, so he could gain access to the babies of the house. Creepy, yes! But is it out of the question?

Rather than feel a persecution complex, did anyone ever think, "Why would anyone with any sense at all answer, let alone invite us in?!"

Did you ever have to go out in field service with someone that you suspected to be a little odd? Someone that you wouldn't want your family members to open the door to? Did any of them ever go back and get "friendly" with one of the door-to-door prospects? (Without anyone else tagginfg along?)

I would really be surprised if this kind of thing doesn't happen with any door-to-door religious org. Just wondered how many of you seen it happen first-hand in the JWs?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Did you ever have to go out in field service with someone that you suspected to be a little odd?

I think everyone who went knocking on peoples doors with that rubbish was odd.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

In some neighborhoods we worked in, when we (males) walked together to doors with only a folder or a few magazines in our hands, sometimes we were mistaken for police detectives canvassing the area questioning people about some recent crime. Happened at least a dozen times over the years.

• changeling
    changeling

I thought about that all the time and always tried to put the householder at ease. I was always conscious of the fact thet I was at their door uninvited and probably unwanted.

changeling

• Gregor
    Gregor

Some older folks associate JW's with draft dodgers. The flag salute issue added fuel to their disdain. I recall 30 years ago getting the most angry door slams and "get off my property!" orders from veterans of WWII or families members who had lost loved ones. Looking back at the Rutherford era, it's a wonder there wasn't more "persecution".

• whyizit
    whyizit

Well, there's a few more things I hadn't thought of.

I wonder if family of military people today have the same feelings? What did the JWs do, when right after the 9-11 attacks EVERYONE had flags in their doors, windows, cars, apparel, etc...? I was told that a long time ago all you had to do was put a flag on your property and they would not come there. How did they get around that?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Towards the end of my time as an active JW I realised it was unfair to contact and try to persuade people to enter the JW world of gloom and absurdity eg blood ban, shunning of dissenters, cold unloving community.

In that respect it was reasonable some peole would hate the JWs for the many wrongs that they stood for.

• Tara
    Tara

No. I was too busy frantically praying to Jehovah that nobody would be home. I was terrified and hated every single minute of field service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit