Were You Treated With Respect When Counseled By The Elders?

by Paralipomenon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I knew a certain few elders that really got off by "talking down" to the "flock". Many elders were pretty nice guys but a few could turn----just like that! What was your experience with "those taking the lead", the "loving shepherds"????

• Open mind
    Open mind

I've always been treated in a superficially polite manner by the elders. But as for respect, I'd have to say no.

They don't really know the meaning of the word. How can they? My life isn't really my life. It's Jehober's, and it's their job to make sure I use it "properly".

Still trying to get a grip on the whole idea that it's "my life".

Damn cult.

Open Mind

• minimus
    minimus

Most elders LIKE to give counsel. They enjoy it. It's a head trip for them. Even if they were respectful at the time.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Most of the elders I knew seemed to enjoy talking down to people. I, in turn, enjoyed talking down to them. If I could embarass one publicly, so much the better.

W

• minimus
    minimus

Finally Free kicks ass.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I was treated with respect by some and with a little bias by others.

Unfortunately, they listen to gossip in the hall and view you through the yellow-lens of their jaundiced eye instead of the unbiased way they would if they didn't hear anything about you - regardless of whether what they hear is accurate or not.

I will say that the more intelligent the elder, the more compassionate the counsel.

LHG

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Nope,

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

From my recollection, when I had to talk to the elders for "commiting fornication" when I was a teenager, they seemed embarrassed when they had to ask me the questions about what happened. Except for one who was kind of a jerk, I would say we had sex and everytime he would interrupt and say, "commited fornication" (which maybe was protocol) but he did it everytime and I just couldn't bring myself to say "committed fornication" instead of "we had sex". As far as the other ones, they seemed to feel bad for me and the situation I was in.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Damn cult.

You mean "Die damn cult, die?", Om?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sorry Nvr:

Unlike you, Satan is only my uncle and not my father. I will only be able to type the words "Die damn cult, die" when the transformation has.................

Oh nooooooooooooooooo..

What have I done?

*Open Mind to Nvr* "Hey Bro, seen Dad around here?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit