On my own now

by dazednotconfused 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dazednotconfused
    dazednotconfused

Hi everyone - I have posted only a couple times here but felt the urge to let loose a little bit today. I am 41 years old, and after being brainwashed for the last 35 years, I can no longer continue as a JW - I have not been inside a Kingdom Hall in over a year, my friends and family have shunned me and I have very few associates outside of "THE TRUTH".

Now I am not here to cry and feel sorry for myself. But I would like to hear from some who are/were in a similar situation. I feel like a child, just starting out in life, wondering what the future brings - all that. What does it bring, how do I get started in "getting a life" outside of "the society"?

Honestly, I used to think those of you on boards like this were just plain crazy and foolish...blinded to the truth, bitter and unrepentantly wicked. Well I have changed, grown and seen the light so to speak.

If there is a God of love up there, hear my plea - I am a good person, destroy me not.

• journey-on
    journey-on

First off, WELCOME.

This forum as you probably know is full of people who have been right where you are and can give you encouragement, unconditional love, and advice.

You'll be fine. I'm of the persuasion that you are right where you are supposed to be in your Life. Others will say differently. They have their own perspective.

My only advice is to not go off the deep end. Take things slow and easy. You've been reborn and everything will be "new" to you. Keep close to whatever you determine is "God" and remember that God does not equal WTB&TS.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Welcome,

I've been out since 2004 and it is very challenging.

Do you have a degree? Have you thought about getting one if not? That was the first thing I did when I found myself totally alone. It's been challenging but also keeps me busy for the most part.

As far as finding out where to go from here, I'm still trying to search.

~Froggy~

• choosing life
    choosing life

When I left "the truth", I felt like I had returned to the age I was when I joined. I was 19 when I joined, so I can't imagine exiting after being in since the age of 6. It does tend to even out after a while. It is just so long since you have thought for yourself without taking into consideration what the society says. If you were 6, you never really had much opportunity to think things through for yourself ever.

Best way to keep evolving is to read and experience many points of view. Think of it as an adventure rather than a burden. Don't try to figure out all the big questions in life, just experience life as it is, pure and full of beautiful experiences. Try not to judge people and experiences, just observe quietly.

Wishing you the best in your new journey. Sincerely, Choosing life

• tremoka
    tremoka

Congratulations dazednotconfused!

It is overwhelming at first! But it's a fantastic ride! You will be astounded at how much you'll learn about yourself. I believe the religion stagnates all personal growth and we are never allowed the process of individuation. You can now become "you"

So I say this is where to begin. Go slow. Find something you are passionate about but needed to supress because of living a JW life. For me it was something as simple as signing up for guitar lessons and not feeling guilty for spending the time on myself rather than the guilt that I should be studying, service etc! It is a slow process but savour every moment. You are free! A whole world of possibility lies before you!

You also get to choose who your associates are for yourself! Getting involved in extracurricular activities will help you find those with simular interests. It takes time. Or extend to those you always wanted to be friends with at work but couldn't while a JW.

It all takes years to do this. Just be patient! Revel in all the baby steps you take and know it's for a better more fulfilling life! :)

• fedorE
    fedorE

fedorE

Hi im around the same age.42, and raised in the CLUB (nr Toronto).......were u married , kids, parents still in it? All yes for me....imstill dealing with it......for me i didnt have a single thing to do with relgion for years and years until i realized im agnostic and happy with that....it really really is a bunch of nonsense that for some ppl ends up being a hope for the future thats better than nothing cause they dont know anybetter.....anyways ttyl and chin up

• memario
    memario

Welcome Newbee as a newbee myself (I have posted this one before) but, I'll post it again,

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

enjoy!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Honestly, I used to think those of you on boards like this were just plain crazy and foolish...blinded to the truth, bitter and unrepentantly wicked. Well I have changed, grown and seen the light so to speak.

And your mind will continue to change and grow. Don't be to hard on yourself, you've got a lot to live for.

BTW, there are a bunch of great people on here that are in Canada. Hopefully you'll be able to meet up with some of them.

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

"Honestly, I used to think those of you on boards like this were just plain crazy and foolish..."

I beg to differ!

I'm both crazy and foolish. But mostly crazy :P . (I'm speaking only for myself!)

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome! Were glad you found us. We've been where you are. It's very difficult when you realize that what you have been taught your whole life is a sham. But as you yourself said, you will change and grow. It's an ongoing process. It does get better.

Stick around,

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit