Fuel From a Garden Hose - Hydrogen Fuel

by BlackPearl 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think electric cars must be the future.

Maybe, but remember that electricity doesn't come from nowhere. It must be GENERATED, which is the purpose of hydroelectric dams, coal fired steam-driven generators, and nuclear powerplants. Solar would be nice, but is there a technology that is ready to meet the future? I'm not sure there is, yet.

Of course we could alsways go back to horse-drawn transportation, and once again the city streets will be hip-deep with horse pucky. This was one reason the coming of the gasoline-fired automobile was so widely hailed. It solved a very tangible pollution problem.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I think, from what I have read so far, Hydrogen fuel is pretty much a pipe dream...

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Dave,

Seems to me the best alternative we have, or ever will have is the electric motor. We can plug in at home, recharge and run the next day. If only a small percentage of the population, (like me, who only travel short distances to work) would use this technology, we could cut down on a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere. If we can't get Hydrogen to work safely, effectively and cheaply then I think electric cars must be the future.

BP

Yeah - the future - except GM crushed them all... True you have to plug them in, but solar and wind are options that could be looked in too. Even if everyone was electric or hydrogen the energy has to come from somewhere - which is coal, it takes more energy to make hydrogen then it does electricity...in my mind, it's more tangible to keep with the electric until hydrogen becomes more viable - at this point, it really isn't.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Terry-

Thanks for that information. I know my comments have seemed negative so far, but I really do admire the technological innovation that has gone into the development of fuel cell vehicles.

BP-

I admire your enthusiasm. By all means keep looking into the alternatives. You know what I wish? If the United States would focus on its public rail infrastructure, then more people could use public transportation instead of private cars. Since public transportation has to be professionally maintained, it would be an excellent way to introduce fuel cell technology. If fuel cells can power street cars in small cities and suburbs across the country, then that would be a way to introduce the basic infrastructure of a "hydrogen" economy without waiting for a critical mass of cars to be built.

Dave

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Thanks for your input everyone. The article you posted was very informative Terry, it'll take a while to read it in it's entirety. I'm not sure what *THE* answer is, but I do know one thing, if we don't change from fossil (sp?) fuels soon, the pollution is going to get worse, not better. I'd hate to think of this prospect, but...what if the Gubment said you must have at least one electric car for every two drivers in the home, or some combination thereof. That would force CO2 emissions lower. But not a very good answer to freedom of choice. I don't know, I'm just very frustrated that we've got a lot of technology, but very little of it is being used by the general public, in large part, because it's not economically feasable at this point. But I feel this urge to *DO* something about it. Why can't we?

BP

(Of the, I'm dreaming of big things, but not sure we can get there...class)

• rassillon
    rassillon

JamesThomas I may have a bit of an insight on things since I work for a petrochemical company and kind of know a few things. Well very few ;) but still enough to be dangerous. Are you aware of the potential side effects of polymerizing veg-based oils? This it the same type of short-sighted thinking that took place with the current group of man-made products. You say "It's[sic] not that big a problem" I respond that we don't know how big a problem it could be and thus we should move forward with caution. You said "It's amazing that one has to actually argue this." I am sure when plastics and other petroleum products were being developed the same reasoning was used. Sometimes it is difficult to foresee the problems that new technologies will introduce when used full scale. I am all for a more environment friendly ways I am just cautious about jumping into a pool without testing the water first. I am not trying to pick a fight but your post was a bit dismissive and despite your opinion my perspective does have value.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit