How Did you Feel Being Raised as a Jehovah's Witness?

by flipper 47 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Brain Dead- You have certainly come a long way. Animal- I'm so sorry dude you went through all that abuse. I'm so glad for you that you have a nice family now and kids and a wife who really loves and cares for you. Really enjoyed your experience, thanks for sharing. I agree with you, that you have to live in the here and now, forget the past, and move on, it's healthier. JK666- I agree. None of us fit in with the witnesses. mimimimi- Garbage is a good word for what the witnesses gave us, and a few more choice words were applicable too

• Sassy
    Sassy

when I was being raised.. I guess I was so brainwashed, that although there were things I wished I could have done (proms, dates, etc).. well.. I thought it was the right thing.. I never questioned it..

Now I am a bit bitter.. I feel like my childhood was stolen from us..

unfortunately I did the same thing to my children.. thank god when they give me grandchildren, we have stopped the trend!! going to have Xmas presents under the tree for those kids!

• animal
    animal

Thanks FlipperDude.... with all my experiences, I have become pretty street smart and that goes far in life. It all made me a better person.

On these boards, I am very able to pick and choose what post I read, or avoid. I dont read the JW belief stuff at all... I stay away from any political postings because I feel that exJWs arent very knowledgeable about govt etc since they were never into it. I mostly read and toss my 2 cents in only if it adds to a positive outlook.

FYI, I have been being hassled again into writing it all down, for my kids to read. They know little compared to the volumns of my life on the street. Who knows.

Animal

• animal
    animal

In my world, it is family before religion. My mother doesnt exsist to me, as I dont to her. Its all fair.

Animal

• Paksen
    Paksen

I thought is was great! I especially like the part where my dad grounded me for two weeks for talking to another boy that was sitting next to me at the circuit assembly, when i was 14. I guess he thought I was going to jump his bones right there. Ahh the good ol' days.

NOT!!! heh

Paks

• flipper
    flipper

Welcome Paksen to JWforum. Mr. & Mrs. Flipper welcome you ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• helncon
    helncon

There are two sides one i was glad that i was a JW and two that i hated it.

Firstly i was glad that i was born into the JW only for the fact that i had a conscience of good and bad and that knowing that at the age of 13 -14 i wasn't like most girls at school who were having sex and doing drugs. I lived in a pretty normal house with no bashing and that there was a roof over our head clean clothes and food on the table.

It was a sheltered life and i didn't know what many things were until i got to high school and learnt it from others.

I hated it was that you were kept seperate from the other kids you couldn't have friends well you could but they had to stay at school you couldn't have friends over or do anything on the weekends. But in saying my parents finally let me do stuff when i was about 15/16 and let me go out to the movies with friends on the w/e and also let me go to my year 10 formal and school dance.

Not being able to have after school activites was hard too and suprise i am not very sporty as an adult.

I hated going witnessing on saturdays where i would see the kids from school. Being told that you had to stay out of the ANZAC assembly and keep your mouth shut when singing the anthem. It was hard when it came to xmas time when your friends gave you cards and that you could not give them one in return.

Teachers did respect you and i guess they expected more from you as well to be a model student and not to play up in class. I remember in my science class that the teacher asked if there was any JW in the class me and another student put our hands up and he said that the next subject will be evolution and that we still had to participate knowing what we know. But he was cool about it and i enjoyed learning about evolution.

Helen

• flipper
    flipper

Helcon- Thanks for the reply. I too was raised a witness but it was too sheltering in that I wasn't quite prepared with how rough the work world would be. Got married young at 19 and immediately was working full time to provide for a young jw wife who in 19 years ran credit card debt up to $20,000. That wasn't the kind of enlightenment I was looking for initially in marriage. But I recovered since 1998 from that. But young people aren't really trained enough to see how to deal with people in the outside world, and educated enough to hold down a good job. Thank god I'm self employed as an Entreupener. Don't know what I would have done

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit