Has any one else gone through chemo would like to compare notes

by lapweaver 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lapweaver
    lapweaver

I'm going through chemo right now , just had no. 3 of 4 treatments, I would like to talk to others who have or know someone who has.

Had started to lose hair on day 15, mostly day 3,4,and 5 after treatments I ache like a bad case of flu and have to stay in bed don't even feel much like tv. The meds keep away the neasua, very fatigued.

I know there are others that have it alot worse then me, so I'm not complaining just want to know if anyone else would like to talk about it.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I've never had chemo myself, however I've watched my grandmother and my mom go through it. Also my dad had a chemo treatment about a month ago.

I found that one thing that helped my grandmother and my mom get through it was having something to talk about and look forward to past the chemo. With my grandma she had asked me to bring her some books. I asked what kind and she said, 'Now I know it sounds silly, but I like those romance novels because they're set in the renaissance and I just love the renaissance." I asked her if she had ever been to a ren. fair and she said no. So I made plans to take her to one after she was through with treatments. So whenever I visited her we talked about what she would see at the fair and our plans... her face would light up and she would forget about the chemo for a while.

When my mom went through cancer I decided the same kind of thing would be good for her. Now my mom loves golf and I just don't, but she had always been after me to take lessons so I could play in the mother/daughter tourney with her at the club. I always adamantly refused. So when she started chemo I signed up for lessons and promised to play once a year in that tournament. No matter how sick my mom was from the chemo, she never missed one of my golf lessons, she came to every one, and they helped her immensely.

I would definitely recommend finding something to look forward to as something that might help you get through the chemo. I know it sucks, it was hard just watching people I love suffer through it. If you want to chat I'm up for it if you think that will help you.

Jackie

• lapweaver
    lapweaver

Thanks,

My daughter and I are planning to make a trip to the longest yard sale, which starts about 30min away, we are only going up as far as a day so we won't have to spend anything for hotel, want to spend it all on junk. My last treatment will be on the 31st of July and the sale starts on 2nd of Aug. Don't know if I'll be up to it but gonna try. If I can't make it then we plan on going to six flags at the end of Aug, hair or no hair!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

As a consequence of being diagnosed with bowel cancer in 1996 aged 54, I had to undergo a six month chemotherapy session. I had to wait for 16 weeks after the operation itself when my descending colon was removed. The session ran for ten days each month, divided into two five day sessions. In the first week I had the sessions Mon-Fri when the chemical "cocktail" was injected into my arms through a vein in wrist. The second week I had off, and the third week saw a repeat performance, with the next again being free.

This carried on for six months, with two somewhat different reactions than yours. For different cancers they use different chemical combinations or "cocktails" and mine was a combination that did not cause any hair loss [not that that is of any use to me since I'm pretty bald meself] however the reactions were uncomfortable enough nonetheless. First it caused a discoloration of my skin. The left side of my face for instance got deeply tanned [that was the side I was injected - the left wrist] while my right side was not. It gave me the odd look of a person who had fallen asleep on the beach on one side. This was explained in terms of the chemical, while traveling through the very fine capillaries in the face, leaving behind this coloration. Why it only effected one side was unknown.

There was also an unbearable drying up of the skin, especially in those areas of the armpits and the crotch. I had this agonizing feeling that I was wearing underpants at least four sizes too small. Oddly enough, applying creams and lotions were no help, since the problem was internal. The solution was to have a diet that was rich in agents that provided a counterbalance to the chemicals that had effected the internal moisture sacs. Like yogurt.

The good thing about this treatment, severe as it is while it goes on, is that these reactions disappear immediately on the termination of the treatment. The hair for instance grows back the minute the chemo terminates.

Cheers

• BCberean
    BCberean

Re the hair....kinda hot maybe for wigs....there are some cool summer straw hats around....I love wearing them but usually find them too hot because of my hair...BUT....they might be just the thing for you at this time. They are so flattering .

Have you googled chemo nausea...might be some natural remedies out there....when is the chemo over

I remember my preggie nausea....that was a 3 to 4 month stint...how much longer for you?

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I went through Breast Cancer last year. I had to have 8 round of chemo. 4 with A/C and 4 with Taxatier. The absolute worst thing I've ever gone through in my life!! I would have my treatments on Friday to have the weekend to recoup but I was fine all weekend until Sunday. Then the body aches would start. On Monday I had to have shots to go along with the Chemo and after the shot I hurt all over so bad that no one could touch me. Even the muscles in my face hurt. I would soak in the hot tub and take muscle relaxers. Carisoprodal is the name of the muscle relaxer that helped me. That seemed to help me sleep and take the edge off the aches. By the time I felt really good again, it was time to have another treatment. I really feel for you right now and know what you are going through. When I first started Chemo, I had long blond hair down to my waist. By day 14 it starting falling out by the hand fulls. I had my hairdresser cut short and donate my hair to locks of love. Within 2 days it was all gone. Never cried so much before!! My hubbie even shaved his head! He's so sweet!! The wigs are irritating as you may have figured out by now. When I had some stubble, I just switched over to a ball cap. It may not have looked the best, but it was much more comfortable and cooler being out in the heat. Make sure to drink lots of liquids to to flush out your system. If I can be of any help to you, feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you!!

• eddie c
  • eddie c
    eddie c

Hi lapweaver,

sorry to hear about your illness.

My son when 14 had long treatments of chemo, followed by radiation treatment. He did lose some hair but i think i lost all mine. He was helped by the fact that so many people cared for him and encouraged him.He also had faith in God that no matter what happened he would be able to deal with it. That apart i was amazed by his resilience. After every treatment he insisted that he go home. He then went fishing and was able to overcome the sickness and pain. He would spend hour after hour on the river bank,somehow he found that by doing this he was able to deal with the consequences of his treatment. He also took an interest in other children who were having treatment. In truth he handled it better than me or my wife. We lay awake at night crying,i would rather it had been me than it be my son. When having radiation treatment he had a `map` drawn on his back and front. One day at school he forgot and took of his shirt,his school friends were amazed and thought it was cool. He continued with his school work and was awarded a special prize at the end of term,when he went forward to colect it everyone stood up and cheered. Prior to his cancer he was a very promising athlete.While undergoing treatment he decided to take part in a 10 mile race. He finished last but did complete the course even though his time was way outside what he had done the previous year. I was so proud of him,in fact i dont know how he managed to do what he did. I have never posted this before and hope it wil lencourage you. Seeing this thread moved me to write.

I hope things work out for you. As for hair.....bald is beautiful.

Eddie

• johannahw
    johannahw

Hi, I went through chemo and radiation for a recurrence of my breast cancer in 2004. My treatments lasted for almost a year. I remember that horrible achiness! I woke up in such pain after my third treatment that I was crying. I'd tried taking Advil (prescription dose) but that didn't even come close to dulling the pain. I went to my doctor and she put me a drug whose name I can't remember (wasn't a pain pill though -- I think it was a steroid) and it immediately relieved me of the pain. Please call your oncologist or go in to see him or her. Chemo is bad enough without having to suffer the pain associated with it. I am in remission now for two years. Good luck to you. Johannah

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I helped nurse my grandmother thru her cancer treatments. She was diagnosed way too late so it was more a matter of helping her with what time she had left. She went on Carboplatin to try to slow down the growth of the tumors(yes multiple tumors) and never lost her hair. She still felt terrible afterwards. I found that she loved it when I researched all the new information she was getting and broke it down so she could better understand. I also took to emailing and calling her much more often with stories about my kids. She loved hearing about them and would often tell me stories about my mother and her brothers. I got to know her very well in her last few months, and she took the time to really know me. Unfortunately she went downhill very quickly, I was able to get to her bedside in time to say goodbye.

Stay active, stay interested in life. Don't give up!

Bobbi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit