Tony Robbins - huckster or hero?

by lawrence 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• lawrence
    lawrence

I have recently run into a few Tony Robbins "devotees" at work, so I started doing research on his past, his trials, and his writings; the Fiji Island resort and the 10 grand fire walking seminars. Do any of you have experience with Tony? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

After being locked in the 'Tower braintrap for a couple of decades, I have strong inhibitions about become ANYONE'S "follower." That said, I feel that self development audio tape programs (this was in the pre-CD era) gave me a great deal of help in making my break from the Watchtower without a support system. One of those helpful tape series was Tony Robbins "Unlimited Power." I feel it gave me the basics and although I was curious, I never felt I needed to get Tony's other, more expensive products. To give credit where it is due, other programs I listened to were by (in no particular order) Earle Nightingale, Napoleon Hill, Josè Silva, Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Branden, and Maxwell Maltz, among others. I guess in some ways it was like self-directed positive self-image psychotherapy.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I had two of his books, but they didn't help me.

I say if he helps you, more power to you. If he doesn't then keep looking.

He has to be helping some people, otherwise he would have drifted off into "self-help history".

Warlock

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I read "Awaken the Giant Within" during work time at Bethel.

That book helped me to initially break the bonds. I don't like his commerciaistic ways ... but I love the way he writes. He brings nothing new...much of his research is based on NLP.

It worked for me. But I truly believe NLP is the way to go.

• PEC
    PEC

Warlock, there is no help for you, you are helpless.

Tony Robbins and his ilk, make me want to puke.

Philip

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

NOTHING works if ...

YOU are not in the right STATE ... no jokes please

and

YOU haven't reached that EMOTIONAL threshold where you just can't take crap anymore ... that's when change begins.

or if you are WARLOCK ... ;-)

• Arthur
    Arthur

He has a program called Lessons In Mastery which I think is very good. It's geared more toward business and career, but the basic thrust of the program is in training the mind to think more creatively, develop better ideas in one's life, and to effectively solve problems. A couple of his other programs have some good tidbits as well.

The firewalking on the other hand is a little over the top. This practice has been debunked by physicists who explain (and have actively demonstrated) that it does not require any spiritual powers, or "higher mind" to be able to perform it without getting burned.

On the whole, I think he's got some good information that can be very helpful in some areas.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

There's millions of people out there with a great line of BS, but Tony Robbins has a knack for selling his.

HappyDad

• zagor
    zagor

I've got whole album of his CDs. It was very good to listen to, whether it helped is another story. I don't think (to me personally lat least) there was any particular program that helped but many small steps, reading and listening to many other experts (including Tony) was the way to go for me.

I didn't see anything wrong in it, as WAC said lots of what he teaches is based on NLP. I incidentally came across NLP before I ever heard of Tony. On the second thought it is not only NLP he tries (In Oprah fashion) to bring together many different expertise from different fields and present them in way he understands them and the way he believes other will find it useful as well.

He is a great marketer but so are many others. No one today works for peanuts so we shouldn't hold that against him if he is more skillful at self promotion than others.

In the end it really comes down what works for you, to some people he will sound ridiculous to some he will awaken parts that were dormant to some he will be telling things they never knew were possible. It is just like any other product if it suits you you will find it useful if it doesn't click with the way your brain is wired you will find it useless.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I have fire-walked and can assure that there is no hocus-pocus, or need for higher state of conscienceless.

The event was hosted by a man who only asked for a donation of what you could afford. I donated $40.

I walked over the coals twice and it was exhilarating. My partner walked across once and got burned when a coal got caught between his toes.

Robbins annoys me, but he has helped a lot of people so I think he's allright.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit