Watchtower deliberately lying?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• emptywords
    emptywords

They should be totally transparent when it comes to reporting what is done with the hard earned money of the rank and file members.

They are political and whole organization of congregations are their subjects, not much different than any government (GB) arrangment except they use Jehovahs name.

• Philippus79
    Philippus79

Besides what has already benn said about twisting doctrines and holding back the complete truth on matters, I can relate a story of a personal experience with a GB member. I suggest it was an outright lie, but I can't know for sure. Judge yourself:

My brother and I approach GB member Gerrit Lösch privately on one of his stays in his hometown in Austria and my brother asked him about the UN-NGO story. He gave the well known "official" librarypass answer and recited all the dteails you can find in the letter to the elders. This alone was not very honest. But we might consider that Loesch was not a member of the GB in 1992 when they joined. But then we asked him, well, what about the 11 - 13 different legal bodies of the WTS that where registered with the UN and what about the fact that the registry terms didn't change before 911, he answered: "You are the first one to tell me, I haven't heard about it." That was really then the end of the conversation since my brother was still an active JW. But this sentence might constitute a lie on an official matter given by an authorized GB member to an official JW.

Philippus

• jeanV
    jeanV

Was George W. Bush deliberately lying when he said that Saddam had WMD?
    Are Islamic religious leaders deliberately lying when they promise paradise with virgins for martyrs?
    Were Christians religious leaders deliberately lying when blessing soldiers said “God is with us”?
    Are ex-JWs deliberately lying when they post wrong/incorrect information on the web?
    The list could just go on indefinitely.

The answer very often depends on what we believe (or what we want to believe ;-) )

When someone unknowingly says something that they believe to be the truth, when they are confronted with the "real" facts, they are humbled and change to conform to what that truth really is. They do not continue to tell the lie even after realizing they were wrong.

when it comes to beliefs, even mathematic may become an opinion and "real facts" are often subject to interpretation. Looking at the same evidence people come to different conclusions which are the result of bias that we have based on our beliefs.

• metatron
    metatron

Your points are all true but don't miss the point that your examples involve things that can't be

immediately disproved - which is not the case with countless magazine articles.

metatron

• jeanV
    jeanV
    which is not the case with countless magazine articles.

if your mind is set on "I am right" mode, no matter what evidence is brought against you, you will always find excuses. Never underestimate the power of brainwashing (including self brainwashing). On top of that, how many JW's come in contact with information contradicting their beliefs? how frequently? do they really examine what they read? why there are still JW's defending the WT on the web (and they do come in contact with all the negative info)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit