So non-creationist - what do you think of those who still accept creation?

by AK - Jeff 66 Replies latest jw experiences

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I respect everyone's right to believe what they want. Many here are on a journey to find what they truly believe, and it takes time to arrive at the final destination.

I have always enjoyed the debates on creation vs. evolution. Even the heated ones! I've gained so much information on evolution, and I never would have researched the subject had it not been discussed here. Not believing in God had never even entered my mind as an option. Now it's another thing that I can consider and reach a conclusion on with a free, open mind. That's an amazing gift.

GGG

• Quandry
    Quandry

Doesn't the fact that we are even debating this tip the scales in favor of God not existing?

I ask that respectfully.

No, I don't think so.

It just means that people are debating. It doesn't mean that God doesn't exist.

While I am in awe of the multitudinous variety of dinosaurs, the geologic history of our earth, and don't believe in the WTS's version of "days" of 7,000 years each, I do believe that the infinite and diverse intricacies of life had a cause. The details, of course, cannot be known, as we were not there. Hence, the "theories" that abound.

My respectful answer.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

And I respectfully thank you for it Quandry!

LOL!

• Marcel
    Marcel

i dont intelligence protects from the believe in creation ;D

no, seriously, i think im not too dumb and i can basically believe in both. its hard to believe both versions. i tend a little to evolution but... yay... in the end noone knows definately.

i think humans should be "truthelists" and look at both possibilities unbiased and equally. thats smart. but evolutionists and creationists both dont do that often enough.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

AK - Jeff:

No firestorms please. But be honest. Do you think that we are of a lower level of intelligence than those who accept evolutionist' theories?

No, not necessarily. I do believe though that you are wrong and that there is really no good excuse for an adult living in the western world in the 21st century not to accept the fact of evolution. However, the reason is usually due to a lack of education - or more specifically, mis-education - than a lack of intelligence.

I only say so - because whenever it comes up that someone dares admit to accountablility to a higher power, he/she is soon trounced upon as if just short of needing rehab at the local mental health centre. Sarcasm, and innuendo begin to flow and ebb, and soon the person just ducks for cover. I don't blame them.

That's a different subject. Believing in gods has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution is an observed fact and remains so whether or not it was initiated and/or guided by a supernatural entity. (With the proviso that said entity could have faked all the evidence, but what kind of god is that?)

I'm not asking for voluminous explanation as to why we are so stupid in our reasoning - just honestly - should we just go off and commit suicide due to our inablility to see things from your reasonable perspective? Just curious.

No. On the contrary, you should go off and study the subject, actually learn about why virtually all scientists and most educated lay people believe it. It will broaden your mind and your horizons.

I admit - I believe in creation. Maybe just because I prefer it to the alternative. Or perhaps I am just a superstitious genetic hold over from the dark backwards continent of ancient times. I need my rabbit's foot God?

As I'm sure you're aware those aren't really good reasons for believing something. It might be helpful to examine why you prefer this belief to any alternative and why you're willing to choose a preferred belief over the facts.

Sorry - no offence intended on either side of this aisle. I just don't see why we feel compelled to attack others, insinuating great lack of mental ability due to acceptance of something you have rejected. Never mind - I don't really want to know. But since I started the thread, I shall post it.

It can be difficult sometimes not to be dismissive of creationists. For example, say a group of people are discussing lactose tolerance and how, when, where and why it evolved in various human populations. Someone who believes that the entire universe was created some 2,000 years after the domestication of cattle simply has nothing useful to add to such a conversation. That does not mean they are unintelligent, but it does mean they are ignorant, and almost certainly willfully so. Unfortunately for them, ignorance is not equivalent to knowledge and their arguments from ignorance are not as deserving of respect as arguments based on observable testable evidence. I will never treat them as if they were.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Another thought for AK-Jeff: I just posted a new thread parodying this one ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/138163/1.ashx ). I'm not doing this just to be mean or to single you out or attack you, but to make a point.

The point is that, to someone who has carefully examined the issues of the existence of the Abrahamic God, of higher powers in general, of evolution versus creation, and other related things, belief in creation is as devoid of rational basis as is belief in a flat earth, geocentrism or astrology. As with biblical creation, belief in these ideas is strictly based on a literal interpretation of the Bible and/or general irrationality.

AlanF

• daystar
    daystar

Daystar - good points.

But is 'acceptance of the Bible' an absolute before accepting that higher powers are responsible for life? I am assuming you meant inside the 'Christian' realm with your comments.

Ok, how about this: "acceptance of whatever ancient book is telling the believer that the Universe, the earth, and life on it came about in any certain way...", whether it says the earth sits upon a turtle's back or whatever. The point is the same.

• daystar
    daystar

I suppose my initial response was not to the point. I may respect a person regardless of their beliefs on any particular thing. Namaste!

My opinion is that a person who believes that creation came about via the exoteric series of steps laid out in the bible, for example, believes a fairy tale to be actual, concrete reality rather than, at best, great embellishment.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Since I don't know how many different "types" of evolution people have created to believe in, I will just say that the type of evolution that I was taught in school, namely, the belief that men come from monkeys I will never believe until I have proof.

The proof that I want is to see a man walk out of the jungle saying "I was a monkey and have just evolved into a man".

Warlock

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I find it interesting to sit back and watch all the non-creationists try and convince everyone that they are right. The harder they try the more questions I have. It's almost as if they are trying to totally convince themselves in the process. At the same time, I am open-minded enough to know they are entitled to their beliefs the same as I am.

The universe and everything in it is just too awesome to believe all this happened by chance. I do have issues with the Bible...but that's another subject, altogether.

I'm with Warlock, when I SEE something evolve, then I will change my mind. A bird having a shorter or longer beak is not a bird changing into a man. I wish someone could offer a better modern day example....

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit