Do you believe in prayer?......Why not believe in youself?

by passive suicide 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• monophonic
    monophonic

i think it's the 'what if?' scenario.

what if there isn't a god, or god is not who we have assumed? is it harmful for people to pray? i don't think so. if it works for them, if they're getting piece of mind, if problems are working out, then pray baby pray.

but that's prayer, there's also self talk and self dialogue which everyone has and some aren't even conscious of it. putting word out to the universe to make something happen, i've personally witnessed it happen to me over and over again. sometimes it's prayer. sometimes it's writing down what i need. that might be just setting personal goals who knows?

i have a hard time believing in myself, some of it from the propoganda we grew up with, some of it from inherited depression....and you know me personally, so you know my quirks.

if prayer could get rid of my demons (aka phobias), i'd pray every day. but prayer actually gives me anxiety attacks sometimes, reminding me how fucked up being a jw was and why would god allow that dogma on kids?

i believe in prayer and prayer having power. i don't pray more than once a month, about as much as i smoke a cigar...hrmmm, maybe the two are related?

there's powerful forces in the universe that we can utilize, either through self talk, meditation (i typed medication first, is that a freudian slip?), or prayer.

i won't discount any of them....like i even have a hard time buying into anthony robbins 100%, but about 20% of what he says, and most of what he says is regurgitated psych 101, does provide results.

if someone says they pray and their prayer has been answered, more power to them.

• esw1966
    esw1966

I appreciate your sincerity. I don't take your questions as demeaning. I think life should be investigated and questioned. I do not believe she had ANY incling about my thoughts. We were both shocked as to what had occurred. There was no influencing on my part that I am conscienctiously aware of. She was DEFINATELY aware of my need for spirituality. She started my church investigation. But through all the churches we had gone to she had never donated and I told her I did not believe in donating. I stated I was against donating. She hadn't taken to church and so there was no reason for her to donate. Her donation had nothing to do with me. I know that. It was an impulse to her, she describes it as a lightning impulse. She saw it as a very odd reaction for her. We do have the ability to take care of ourselves. Prayer has a part in transforming who you are on the inside. I believe God has answered my prayers. I believe he directed my leaving Green Bay, moving to Manhattan and living in my van there for two months. I ate better there than I did at home while being homeless! I believe God put me in a job where I was able to refine my search and learn jw was bad. I believe he brought a new employee into my work the week after I arrived who was from Wisconsin as well. I believe I had made a wrong turn in a place where I never drove before only to turn around in the church parking lot where I would one day become born again. I had never seen that church before and I was impressed by as I turned around. Around the time of my conversion and my heavy questions it seemed that there were many strange coincidences. There have been too many strange coincedences in my life to see them as anything but God directed. I will tell you one other STRANGE thing that happened to me that I am slightly embarrassed to say. I heard a distinct voice in my head tell me a two word 'command'. I was alone, doing ordinary things, and when I heard it I stopped and was shocked! It wasn't me! Not my tone, not my wording, not my idea. It was clear, audible, calm, reassuring. I take it to be of God. So, you can do what you want to with that. I continue to try to figure that one out. I try to figure out what it's intended purpose was. I long to hear it again! So, I believe in prayer. I believe in God. I believe that everything that happens in life happens for a reason. So, I pray to be used in the things God is trying to accomplish around me. I want to know him more. I want him to reveal things to myself that I do not see. I feel that prayer is very peaceful, reassuring, and powerful when used the way it was intended to be used. (I havn't found prayer successful in my stock picks...) Love the discussion. But I do believe prayer is powerful and important. Maybe it makes you humble before your God. It shows your reliance upon him and not yourself. I think your life is better when you have reliance upon God.

• passive suicide
    passive suicide

wow.......esw.......That was really nice. Thank You for sharing your experience..THAT WAS EXACTLY the kind of experiences I was looking for. I envy you. Good luck in life. Passive suicide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit