Biblical chronology

by Anti-Christ 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• startingover
    startingover

A-C

I too would like a believer to explain the things contained in this thread. A good JW friend who would discuss just about anything suddenly developed a dislike for math when I shared Runningman's essay. When pressed for a comment on it, she said she had no interest whatsover in things like that and said she didn't even take the time to read it. I think she did read it and couldn't face what it meant.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I have never understood them as being 430 years in Egypt, but 215. The period of trouble lasted 430 years, and started when Abraham left Caldea and started his career as a tent dweller. I don't have my references with me here, but I can check up later, unless someone else meanwhile does it. But again, I always heard 215 years.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    The period of trouble lasted 430 years, and started when Abraham left Caldea and started his career as a tent dweller.

So exactly wen was this?

GE 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when his son Abram was born.
    GE 11:32 Terah was 205 years old when he died (making Abram 135 at the time).
    GE 12:4, AC 7:4 Abram was 75 when he left Haran. This was after Terah died. Thus, Terah could have been no more than 145 when he died; or Abram was only 75 years old after he had lived 135 years.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I see that you have not had any replies from believers, so let me add an apologetic article that deals with this topic from a Bible believing point of view.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Thank you truthsearcher but they forgot one detail, the bible is not clear on the age of Abraham wen he left Haran. One other thing, every time somebody tries to explain bible contradiction they have to assume a lot.

• Philippus79
    Philippus79

Thanks for posting this article!

Beside all the given information, there is quite a simple solution to the "430 years in Egypt". Egypt was the dominant world power and ruled over Canaan as well. So the first 215 years in Canaan were in a territory dominated by "Egypt"

Voila,

Philippus

• Terry
    Terry

That article was written by Farrell Till. I hope somebody eventually gives him credit.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Phillipus....That explanation is not so simple either because Egypt continued to rule Canaan for many years AFTER the supposed time of the Exodus, so why should a less centralized governing by Egypt count (i.e. during the latter Middle Kingdom and Second Intermediate Period) but a much more imperialist and militarially enacted rule NOT count? It would work only if one adopts a very low chronology for the Exodus, not the high one advocated by the WTS and supported by certain chronographical texts in the OT (e.g. 1 Kings 6:1). A more serious problem is that the text in Exodus 12:40 clearly has the Israelites "dwelling in Egypt" (yshbw b-mtsrym) for 430 years, and that phrasing cannot be resolved by having part of that sojourn "in" Canaan. I know of know other text that refers to the land of Canaan as "Egypt". The two were always distinct.

Most scholars without an apologetic interest would simply recognize that the OT is an anthology of different works written (and redacted) at different times, and they simply attest different chronographical traditions about the Israelites.

• rocky
    rocky

Hello,

You can find maybe some help in this (sorry it is DUTCH but maybe you understand from now abit more) document about chronology ..... I hope it will help you to understand more about this topic..

http://members.fortunecity.com/tututu42/Chronologie%20v.d.%20menselijke%20geschiedenis.htm

It is JW based chronology...

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

From the time that Abraham entered Canaan until Isaac’s birth was 25 years; from that time until Jacob’s birth, 60 more years; and after that it was another 130 years before Jacob entered Egypt. All together this makes a total of 215 years, exactly half of the 430 years, spent in Canaan before moving in to Egypt. (Gen. 12:4; 21:5; 25:26; 47:9) The apostle Paul, under inspiration, also confirms that from the making of the Abrahamic covenant at the time the patriarch moved into Canaan, it was 430 years down to the institution of the Law covenant.—Gal. 3:17.

TOH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit