question for technically savvy peeps

by snarf 12 Replies latest jw friends

• snarf
    snarf

We are about to invest in a new t.v. Plasma or LCD? Every salesperson has a diferent opinion on this issue. We will prolly go about 42". Any help and info would be appreciated...THANKS!!!!!!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

go with lcd.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

sorry, i should elaborate more, huh? i have had trouble with plasmas, never with lcd, and the picture on l.c.d. is usually better when compared to a plasma model of equal value. hope that helps. i'm more into sound, if you want speaker tips, i am alot more knowledgeable, but, with the t.v.'s i am just going on personal experience.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

If you can wait till Black Friday there will be good specials on both. Look online for the flyers some two to three weeks ahead. Brick and mortar stores hate this heads up for consumers.

That said, we bought the 42" Vizio LCD at Sam's Club. They're now less than $1,000. There is a "faster" model (less trailing on action) for a few hundred more. We still don't use the HD feature till DirecTV has more programming. Another $10 per month plus a new receiver will be needed. Therefore, we still have a 4 x 3 picture vs. the 16 x 9 picture ratio -- meaning the picture does not fill the screen left to right on 4 x 3 ratio.

Note than Sony stopped building Plasma as of the first of this year (I read that somewhere). That means something to me.

Plasma has "extra care" handling instructions.

Search online for terms like: Plasma LCD differences reviews.

Len Miller

• snarf
    snarf

Thanks bigdreaux and fatfreek,

It did seem that lcd had a better ic quality to us than the plasma. We have an Infinity sound system now, which we got for next to nothing, but the sound quality is aweseome. What is black friday by the way?

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

LCD all the way. The picture is generally clearer, and you don't have to worry about burn-in from static images (unlike plasma's).

• zeroday
    zeroday
    you don't have to worry about burn-in from static images (unlike plasma's).

Actually they have overcome that problem but I agree LCD all the way. Don't worry about when to buy. I bought my LCD 1.5 years ago and now the same size and brand is 1/2 the price I paid for it. If you go with the LCD you will also want to upgrade your cable or dish service to the digital package which will give you the HD channels. It costs more but once you view HD TV you will never go back. You also will get some sort of DVR (digital video recorder) which you can have many options to record and play back your programs...

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

also, make sure you understand the difference between hd compatable, and hd ready. big difference. also, do not buy a l.c.d. monitor. all that is good for is dish t.v. you can't connect cable to it.

• zeroday
    zeroday

If you do upgrade to the digital package make DOUBLY SURE you get HD cables to hook it up. Your DVR or cable box should come with them but if you need to purchase a longer cable get the HD cables or you will not get HD quality signal to your set. My brother in law bought a high end LCD and mounted it on his living room wall. He bought an extra long cable to go thru the wall to the opposite wall to his box. One problem he did not get HD cables and now has to rip it out thru the walls and reinstall. Very important...

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Black Friday is the famous shopping day after Thanksgiving.

It's great for those who live in the big cities (unlike us). Newspaper ads with great specials come out only a day or two prior to Thanksgiving. Locals have been know to wait in lines outside the stores from 2 a.m. till the doors open.

However, insiders for the last few years have been pirating these flyers and posting them on the internet some weeks ahead of time giving the buyers plenty of time to decide on the best deal.

Search for Black Friday .

Len Miller

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit