On fading

by lola28 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

You gotta play it like you need to I think. What you say is all true. We faded from the local cong, and because we're out of state from family and close old friends we were able to keep up appearances to them via email and phone for over a year. It was tough.

They play games with you, you know, to test you, "how about that recent wt article on some inane topic that we're now experts on". "Yes yes, it was fabulous, I love the wt and Joe and the flower pots at the KH. Do you remember that time we were all in a drama 30 years ago? I so love dramas. In the new world we will have dramas and play with lions. Too bad for the apostates."

The family was always checking to see if we were worthy of their association by asking if we were attending, and we finally told them we were through with it--so if/when you do it be prepared to be verbally attacked in the worst possible way and divorced by parents & siblings. It is sad sometimes, to mourn losing family and friends but it's a relief to be open. We haven't DA'd.

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

This is a subject I have thought long and hard about. I didn't fade. I just never went to another elder's meeting. I told my JC off (they were WAY out of line) I am surprised I am only considered inactive at this point (on paper). According to all that knew me I am the devil's spawn, surely sporting a lovely pair of horns and a tail by now. I have considered a DA letter for years. My biggest concern is my grandma. It would destroy her. So...I wait.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

Not sure of your family situation, but I think fading is always better. I have invested my entire life in this org., why should I walk away with nothing? If you are DF or DA you get nothing. First try to change halls away from your friends and fade. Consider using work as an excuse. I have friends across the nation. When I visit their town, I will go to their hall. We enjoy our fellowship, a meal and I see them years later. Why should I give this up? Fading is better.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Let me just add that I only attend JW meetings when I'm home with my folks. I am a very successful fader otherwise (yes I noticed the spitting and crossing of yourselves when you heard me say I attended meetings).

INQ

• willyloman
    willyloman
    What you are describing with all those meetings and such is not what I call fading. I called fading going to less and less meetings until you don't go anymore

Yes, fading means gradually disappearing.

To the already good points above, I would only add my two cents:

Once you decide to leave the dubs, the first thing you should do is plan an exit strategy. And by "plan" I mean think it through and write it down. Once you see it in front of you on paper, it all becomes clear. Based on what you have learned about the dynamic of your particular congregation and your own circumstances, an exit plan will emerge from this process. It gives you a place to start. It may change as you go along.

Example: I knew my first step was to resign as an elder. Then I realized I needed to change congregations. I also realized I would need a good excuse for missing a lot of meetings (at the beginning, before I completely disappeared). Once I mapped all this out and made the intellectual decision to leave, everything just fell into place. I'm convinced that was because we had a "plan," that we had visualized the process of no longer being a JW.

Both my wife and I unexpectedly came down with some health problems. Hers were more serious than mine, but neither condition lasted more than a few months. However, both conditions had the advantage of sounding like they could be more serious than they actually were (and we helped that along when we reported our ailments to our dub colleagues, by spinning the prognosis we got from the doctors). Looking after my sick wife became my excuse to "step aside" as an elder. Our respective illnesses then became an excuse to miss about half the meetings for a few months. Then we purposely skipped meetings for three weeks and waited for the call from the secretary asking for our FS report for the month. When it came, we told him we were moving to a hall closer to home which would be "easier for us to get to" given our illnesses. He faciliated the whole process by telling me he would send our cards and a letter to the secretary in that nearby hall immediately. Technically, he was supposed to wait for the other secretary to contact him and tell him we were attending before sending off cards and a letter. When this glitch in "theocratic" protocol occurred, it allowed us to speed up our game plan.

Instead of attending the new hall long enough to get our cards transfered, we decided just not to go and see what happened. About a month later, that new secretary called and asked me why he had received the letter and our cards. "Is this some kind of mistake?" he asked. I assured him we were indeed moving over but that we had been really ill and could not get out of the house. Since the letter he received had mentioned our recent illness, he was comfortable with that and said he would keep in touch with us. He only called one time that I know of, several weeks later, leaving a message to let us know if we needed anything. We never called back, never went to his KH.

With a very few exceptions, no one has called or come over or bothered us for three years. I am convinced it was due in part because we had a plan and worked the plan, and because transferring our cards to another congo confused their system and left them uncertain whose responsibility we were. This is where understanding dub dynamics comes in - elders hate this follow up stuff and if they can find a way to make it someone's else's job, they will.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'll leave you with one thought I got here on this forum years ago: The reason you fade is to buy time to make new friends and develop new interests, until you reach a place where you just don't care what the dubs think about you. You have to actively pursue those goals. We did, and it works.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can think of yet another reason to fade. When you fade, that wastes a certain amount of time that the hounders now need to contact you. Making that contact as difficult as possible maximizes that waste. By wasting that time, they are rendered less able to tend other matters that also need attention, especially legal ones. And the money they waste on postage trying to write cards and Puketower magazines is money they will not have to donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Protection fund. I keep in mind that, if they want to play the game, it is a waste of their resources.

Of course, there are those who do not wish the bother. They don't want to be hounded by the hounders when they miss too many boasting sessions. Or, they want to just put it all behind them. For those, writing the disassociation letter makes sense, as does doing something just to get disfellowshipped. The end result is the same. The object is to make them waste as much time and energy as possible to get that result--but some feel it's too much hassle or they want to cut off the cult as cleanly as possible.

What have I done? I faded, switching between two congregations and then starting to miss meetings altogether. Service slipped, and meeting attendance went way down. Each side expected me to be at the other. Eventually I stopped going altogether. They had to waste time hunting for my service slip, since often I would put two or three in at once on separate slips to make them think they missed mine the last time. Thus, technically I am inactive but practically I am already disassociated in my heart. Now, all I want is to see how much of their resources I can waste on them so they will not be able to tend to more pressing matters.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    By never making a stand we lead them to believe that we might come back. How unfair is it to do this to them? Why foster the hope that we might come back when we know that's not going to happen? I think that's just a unkind. I think it might be better to just DA and move on instead of spending years in limbo.

This is the point that's bothering me the most. I'm becoming more and more honest with my self and I'm not comfortable with the fact that some of my family might think their is some "hope". I don't have a problem with the meetings because I don't go not even to the memorial.

I am thinking seriously of DAing but before I do that I want to tell my family (mostly in-laws) and "friends" why I am DAing.

• Mum
    Mum

Great strategy, willyloman. Your point about fading gradually in order to make new friends and create a new life is well taken. I left cold turkey by moving far, far away. As far as I know, my record cards are still on file in that Kingdom Hall I left them at 28 years ago.

Regards,

SandraC

• penny2
    penny2

I faded because I couldn't bear to live without my family. I started leaving in the late 80's when I stopped going from house to house. I had so many RVs magazine distribution points that I still reported an hour or 2 FS per month until 1997 - then I stopped for good. I didn't realise until the mid-90's that it was all rubbish - before that I had my doubts but mainly thought I was a bad person and would die in armageddon. Stopped going to most meetings in the late 90's and haven't set foot in a KH since about 2001. Each step was traumatic for my family but if I could do it again I'd do it much quicker. All my JW family still associate with me and I have had "conversations" with all the adults.

I consider the advantages of fading in my case to be:

• The JWs in the family still speak to me.
    • I can get in the occasional anti-witness.
    • The JW kids can see that an ex-JW is not a bad person.

The downside is - I'm still not really free. I can't openly have a relationship or even celebrate a birthday. TYPING THIS MAKES ME FEEL SICK.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I personally would not be able to stand going to the meetings, having the elders on my back, having family and friends try to save me.....It would drive me nuts.

What you see is what you get - if you don't like my decision to not be a part of your religion, I'm sorry but do what you gotta do. To me it's about respect for myself. I will not put up with someone else trying to run my life, as a child I did not have a choice, this religion was rammed down my throat, the meetings and lifestyle were forced on me and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

When I turned 18 I made the choice to leave and leave all my support systems behind, I thought that if I accepted their help in any aspect of my life, then that would give them the green light to try and call the shots for me. So I walked away and left my entire support system behind. Fortunately for me, all the while I was growing up, I developed friendships outside of the JW web, these relationships were a integral part in making it out at such a young age with a newborn!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit