Old Testament figure named on 2600-year-old tablet

by whereami 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is the text of the tablet:

(Regarding) 1.5 minas (0.75 kg) of gold, the property of Nabu-sharrussu-ukin, the chief eunuch, which he sent via Arad-Banitu the eunuch to [the temple] Esagila: Arad-Banitu has delivered [it] to Esagila. In the presence of Bel-usat, son of Alpaya, the royal bodyguard, [and of] Nadin, son of Marduk-zer-ibni. Month XI, day 18, year 10 [of] Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon.

Notice that this tablet is dated in the same way that the thousands of other administrative and business documents are dated. So this just one new text to add to the mass of other texts.

Second, on the biblical identity of Nabu-sharrussu-ukin (which should not be surprising by itself, since Jeremiah was written near the time of events), here is a very interesting article that urges some caution since the biblical text is itself uncertain:

http://www.heardworld.com/higgaion/?p=680

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    jesus himself could come down here and tell the watchtower leaders a bunch of truths.......they'd disfellowship him and keep on with the status quo.

I always thought it very unfair that Jesus was fast-tracked into eldership and never had to serve as a Ministerial Servant. I think a couple of years of handling microphones and working as second violin in the Literature Department would have taught him the fundamentals of athiesm. He could then learn what it is really like to be human and disbelieve in your own existence.

HS

• besty
    besty

The Telegraph article reads in part:

The tablet is dated to the 10th year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II, 595BC, 12 years before the siege of Jerusalem.

Is that a mistake? surely it should be 8 years before the siege, in Neb's 18th year?

Or am I missing something?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

besty....Yeah, the press usually gets little details like that wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit