How would your respond?

by Billzfan23 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

I received the following from an elder in a nearby congregation that I was just disfellowshipped from:

Hey,

I saw your wife at the special assembly day; she didn’t mention you and didn’t want to talk, so I just let her go.

I’m sure others have offered, but I might kick myself forever if I didn’t at least ask you, is there’s anything I can do to help?

How would you respond to the above - I loved that guy when I was "all in" and even worked with him for a few years - he went to pioneer school with my wife...

• Gill
    Gill

I might respond with: 'Is there anything I can do to help YOU?! You are the one that is trapped in a manipulating mind control cult and need aid, whereas I am free as a bird! By the way, if there's anything you need to know about ME, do NOT harrass my wife again but have the balls to talk to me and me ONLY in future!'

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

He sounds like a nice guy, I agree with Gill.

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds to me like he has his own doubts, and is half-wondering, half-hoping that you can confirm them.

You're already D-F'ed, you have nothing else to lose. Why not take him up on his offer, just request to talk to him, not giving a topic ahead of time.

Remember that his full-on apostate shields will be in full force, so start with something easy to agree on - lack of love, when that should be the organization's hallmark; inconsistencies in the blood transfusion / fractions issue; injustices in judicial cases, etc.

• undercover
    undercover

That's a toughie...

It's harder when you're dealing with someone you actually like, or liked, back when you were in.

Maybe honesty is the best policy. Give them the chance to make it clear on thier position by being clear about your position.

If you're happy on the outside of the JW world, tell him.

"Thanks Dub, for asking...but I'm quite happy spiritually speaking. I'm curious why you feel the need to offer help though. What makes you assume that I need help?"

It may drive him away from every wanting to associate again (his loss, not yours) but it might just get his attention and make him want to understand your position. If he's open minded enough for that, then you might be able to help him see even more, if you get my drift.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

How would I respond?

I'd ask him why religion has to be a condition for his friendship, say that regardless of what happens, I'd consider him a friend and thank him for his concern.

Any attempt to anti-witness to him is likely to close the door to communication and validate his shunning. If you can get him to keep talking with you, it allows room to plant some more seeds at a later time.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I'd ask him why religion has to be a condition for his friendship,

....then I'd say, if you are my friend, you will continue to be so even though we no longer share the same religious beliefs.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

Thanks for the replies folks....

• poppers
    poppers

Let us know what happens, OK Billzfan?

• garybuss
    garybuss

The elder wrote: "is there anything I can do to help?"

I'd say: Yes, show up at 7 am Saturday. Bring your ladder and a 3" paint brush. Thanks for asking! Now I can go to the lake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit