Who is Allah?

by PopeOfEruke 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi DM

However, I would not call the Jewish step to monotheism 'unique'. Atenism was definately earlier under Amenhotep IV, and has the same development of polytheism-henotheism-monotheism (eg hymn of Aten: O sole god, like whom there is no other! - unfortunately I can't read ancient egyptian to check this translation, but this seems reasonable from what I've read about Atenism). IF the Jews were influenced by this (like Freud speculates in Der mann Moses und die monotheistische Religion), We should also say Judaism appropriated an already established pattern. IF this was not the case, however, we have your example of an exact repetition of development of poly-,heno-,monotheism in Egypt and Israel.

I'll leave Zoroastrianism out for the moment because its dualism tends to give me headaches :)

The main difference, I feel, is that the relationship between Aton/Atum henotheism (which I think never reached the stage of monotheism proper) and Judaism is never explicitly claimed by the latter. Monotheistic Judaism doesn't pay any tribute to Akhenaton (as Christianity does to Judaism and Islam to both). Neither is Akhenaton claimed as an anonymous Yhwh worshipper like Abraham is claimed as a true believer by the new standards of both Paul and Muhammad (!). Some influence is undeniable (cf. the Hymn to Aton and Psalm 104) but it remains essentially on a literary level. The Jewish shift to henotheism in Deuteronomy rather reflects and reacts to Assyrian influence (Yhwh as the exclusive suzerain, like and instead of the Mesopotamian rulers), and the next step to monotheism in Deutero-Isaiah seems to also reflect and react to Persian influence (Yhwh as the only source of both light and darkness, good and evil, un/like Ahura-Mazda). So it seems that the long past Akhenaton episode had little room in the actual making of Jewish monotheism, even though it could later be read back as a kind of praeparatio mosaica.

I should also add that the model of appropriation of "the faith of ancestors" suits the historically dominant posture in both Christianity and Islam (with an essential difference re: writing, since mainstream Christianity appropriates Jewish scripture while mainstream Islam rejects Jewish and Christian scripture as falsified) -- but it is not necessarily universal in either. I don't know much about the early theologies in Islam, but there were distinct radically anti-Jewish currents in early Hellenistic Christianity (as reflected in the discourse of Stephen in Acts 7, where the Israelite worship is described as idolatrous right from the start). Cf. also the ultra-Paulinism of Marcion which rejects the OT.

• rocky
    rocky

There are to many and too big differences in bible and koran..... so koran has not the same author as the bible has.....so JW think koran is made/inspired by the devil...

Koran bible

- there is a hell - there is no real hell, it is no existing place, only a symbol, just like a book in which you can remind/recall something back it is like the memory
    of God to give peole back their life by means of resurrection (not all so called christians agree with this)

- Jesus is just a prohet - Jesus is Gods son
    - Jesus was not been killed - Jesus was killed
    - You may have more than one - You may only marry one woman (at a time) (as long as she lives and has not have sex (fornication and or adultery) with someone else during the
    woman marriage
    - You may curse someon - You may NOT curse somone

- Muslims are the best peole - Everybody is equal in Gods eyes, all are imperfect so there is no reason to think more of ourselves then nescesarry

There are mored differences so these are just some examples.... if you understand DUTCH then watch this site...:

www.bijbelsevragen.glow.nl

Sorry for some mistakes in the text (my english is not perfect)

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Thanks Rocky! That's interesting!

I will check out the site you mention - I can understand a little bit of Dutch (I can speak a little German which helps a bit...)

Cheers!

Pope

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I read somewhere that in Muhammad's time, the jewish religion was very influential in the arabic peninsula. In the country which is now Yemen a certain king Yusuf had actually made it the official religion. When Muhammad fled to Yathrib (Medina), 3 out of the 5 tribes that formed the city were jewish. Arabia was also influenced by the christian Ethiopian religion and, on the persian golf, by Mazda religion. So, Muhammad didn't start his religion from scratch but had rather in mind to restore a "pure" monotheist cult, and he was seeing the jewish religion as the standard to go by.

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

Would the real GOD please step forward.

DV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit