Went to a party last night...feel guilty this morning

by neverendingjourney 27 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Thanks for the humor and advice, everyone. I guess I've been conditioned all my life to think that this kind of behavior is terrible and will cause me to become a horrible person. I know better, but I suppose the lingering psychological effects of my upbringing take a while to undo.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I know better, but I suppose the lingering psychological effects of my upbringing take a while to undo.

From one nvr to another never, I feel ya bro.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Insomniac, Eclipse,

I'm sorry to bring contradiction but it seems that marijuana does impair brain cells according to the most recent reseach work. People who 30 years ago used to advocate it as innocuous are now changing their mind, some doctors say it, too, has to do with schizophrenia. Isn't it too high a price to pay for a youth ?

• middlechild
    middlechild

have u tried it? i agree with insomniac and eclipse. maybe if all u do is smoke 24/7....but a hit here and there...definitely calms my emotions down...gets me focused and in control...good stuff!!

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Well, Middlechild, I have smoked very little, it is a long time back, and I've not experienced harmful effects, lucky me. I just read papers. For instance, there was an article in last mach issue of The Independent (UK), a paper which advocated legalization of marijuana in 1997 and now aknowledges that a strong variety of it, skunk, causes an increasing number of mental disorders, especially within the adolescent population.

• undercover
    undercover
    I suppose the lingering psychological effects of my upbringing take a while to undo.

Yes, that is true...but it may also be that you're just not a party animal. Drinking and smoking may be habits that don't suit your personality or psychological make up.

As I freed myself from the bonds of the WTS, I went to parties and made friends with some wild people. I overdid it a few times. In time, though I realized that certain things that I was forcing myself to do, just weren't comfortable or fun.

I smoked some in social situations because, well, hell, no one was going to tell me I couldn't. But in time, I realized what a nasty habit it was and now I never smoke, not because of religious upbringing, but because I don't want to.

I also had a few hits of marijuana. Right now, today, I'll take a hit of that before I'd smoke a regular cigarette. I felt less guilty for a rare hit of a joint than I did trying to smoke Camels.

Alcohol is my drug of choice, but even in that I've learned to drink only so much before becoming that obnoxious drunk everyone hates (I know, I know, no one would never think of me as obnoxious ) I have no problem sitting in a bar drinking, when before as a JW, just going into a bar would make me nervous.

It boils down to being true to yourself. It means not allowing a religion to make your decisions for you but also not allowing peer pressure to force you to take up habits that you don't want.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I think it takes a while to lose that 'guilt feeling'.. if I have a lot to drink, I occasionally still feel it..

funny.. it always reminds me of being a dub too..

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Guilt feeling isn't bad is it ? it is a good warning signal that we may be on the wrong track and helps us reflect on our actions whatever the conclusion we draw from this reflection.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit