What others think about you while you're still in...

by Anony-Mouse 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

When you were in the religion, how important was it to you that you fit in with the crowd?

I've had an issue with a freind, and this is apparently the cause of the problem.

I also have a good idea of psychology. I fully understand the how and why of what went wrong. But I still can't concieve of a person sacrificing a freindship just to fit in, to appear the "Good" JW...

Sorry I can't really elaborate on what's going on. It still bothers me and only my close freinds know about it.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

my wife and i talked about this over breakfast sunday. i am a non-conformists, but, would alter my personality to fit in with certain groups while i was in the org. it sickens me now, but, that pressure to conform is almost unbearable.

• loosie
    loosie

Trying to fit in is eaiser than actively trying to stick out like a sore thumb.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I didn't like the cliques among the PO's wives, the CO's wives and even others who we were with in a few MLM businesses, and wanted nothing to do with them.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I was always a little controversial. I allowed my kids to bring homework to the KH. I allowed my sons to have longer hair. I disagreed with Disfellowshiping.....The List Goes On and on. With that said, I had a group of friends I associated with who respected my opinions. I think the congregation had my family on watch but never said it. My ex-husband always wanted to be an elder but he never attained this lofty position until I divorced him.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I had a problem "fitting in" because I worked full time and was not the average housewife type of woman there. I also had a problem because I was independent and outspoken. This made me unpopular to certain ones there (both male and female) who had their own issues over this.

Someone once said to me "you don't care what other people think". This was not entirely true. I did care to some degree what people thought but it is just that I was not willing to give up my self-respect.

Early on, I saw how foolish it would be for me if I totally followed the dictates of the religion. I realized it was absolute insanity and there were certain things I didn't believe. I looked at the few eccentric ones who were able to make it "work" for them. I realized it was hopeless because I didn't possess their "faith" or gullibility depending on how you look at it.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit