Where was Adam?

by kifoy 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• emptywords
    emptywords

The serpent was cursed to crawl on his belly and eat dust.
    I'm rather curious how a snake got around before the whole "fruit incident" and I'm wondering when they got the "eating dust" reprieve. Interesting question from w/t June 15th/2007 Questions from readers....(havent got a scanner so..) Did the serpent that spoke to Eve have legs? As recorded in Gen 3:14, Jehovah God addressed the serpent that had decieved Eve in the garden of Eden. God said: Because you have done this thing, you are the cursed one out of all thedomestic animalsand out of all the wild beasts of the field. Upon your belly you will go and dust is what you will eat all the days of your life." The Bible does not specifically state that the animal used in tempting Eve had previously had legs but lost them. While the wording of Gen 3:14 might lead osme to think so, we need not necessarily conclude that prior to this curse, serpents had legs. Why not? Principally because the real object of Jehovah's judgement was Satan - the invisible spirit who had misused that lowly animal. The Bible describes Satan as "the father of the lie" and "the original serpent." Both of these expressions apparently point back to Santan's using a visible animal, a sepeent, as his mouthpiece to induce Eve to disobey God's command. - John 8:44; Rev 20:2. God created serpents, and Adam had apparently given serpents their name before Satan's deceptive act. The unreasoning serpent that spoke to Eve was not to blame. It would have been unaware that Satan was manipulating it, and it could not understand the judgment that God rendered against the disobedient parties. Why, then, did God speak of the serpent's physical abasement? The behaviour of a serpent in its natural environment, crawling on its belly and flicking its tongue as if to lick up dust, fittingly symbolized Satan's debased condition. Having previously enjoyed a lofty position as one of God's angels, he was consigned to the lowly condition referred to in the Bible as Tartarus. - 2Pet 2:4. Further, as a literal serpent might wound a man's heel, Satan in his debased state would 'bruise the heel' of God's "seed." (Gen 3:15) The primary part of that seed proved to be Jesus Christ, who temorarily suffered at the hands of Satan's agents. But the symbolic serpent's head will, in time, be permanently crushed by Christ and his resurrected anointed Christian companions. (Romans 16:20) Thus, God's directing his curse toward the visible serpent aptly pictured the debasement and ultimate destruction of the invisible "original serpent," Satan the Devil. After all that complicated answer...it is believed scientifically that snakes at one time did have legs.....

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

After all that complicated answer...it is believed scientifically that snakes at one time did have legs.....
    So snakes evolved?

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Where was Adam when Eve sinned?

He was trying to figure out why he had nipples too.

Later, when Cain and Abel were lads, Adam could warn them not to try to nurse the mongoose.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

He was trying to figure out why he had nipples too.

Later, when Cain and Abel were lads, Adam could warn them not to try to nurse the mongoose.

• Cellist
    Cellist

And what about the principle that Jesus laid out in Luke 12:47,48 that the person who knows better will receive the worst punishment and the person who didn't know better will receive a lighter punishment?

The whole story is such an obvious fairy tale. It certainly isn't based on anything that could be even remotely called justice.

Cellist

• Illyrian
    Illyrian
    Where was Adam?

Probably down the road in a pub having a coconut milk shake with brother chimpanzee

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

at that particular point, he had found steve.

• zack
    zack

Maybe there seem to be so many contradictions because it never happened. I thought I would never see myself type that, but believing the story to be allegory is easier than beleiving it to be true.

Interesting, from my own perspective as a believer in God, that Jesus never confirmed the whole creation account. He referred to the beginning where "HE" created them male and female when refuting the Sadducees. But actually confirming the story as history, he never really did that. Wouldn't you think some one might have asked a question or two about it?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I've never understood why they got embarrassed. I mean hadn't they been having sex for a while? After Genevie and I got married but before we had children we walked around the house naked all the time. I mean eat a piece of fruit and all of the sudden your shy? You've been funneling this guy's hog for years and a piece of fruit makes you shy?

Yeah I think this story would be more believable if she ate the apple and became frigid and stopped putting out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit